Shock/strut replacement (87' Pontiac 6000)

Old 09-07-04, 03:36 PM
recon
Visiting Guest
Shock/strut replacement (87' Pontiac 6000)

Hello, my grandparents gave me their old 87' pontiac 6000 which is in decent shape but the front shocks need replacing. First question, are there shocks in the front or are they struts? What is the difference between shocks and struts? Im new to auto repair and want to learn, and since my car is sitting in the backyard with no insurance now seems like a good time to do the learning. The guy at canadian tire sold me a pair of replacement struts for the front (I still need the shock/strut thing clarified). Is replacing struts a do it yourself job or am I going in over my head? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-04, 06:37 PM
If I remember correctly, the 6000 has struts.

This can be a DIY project, but you've got to take your time and be VERY CAREFUL!

I don't have tech data readily available since I'm on vacation and not in the office, but if they're like most struts they come out with minimum hassle. A Chilton or Haynes manual is a good investment and can walk you through the process.

The "trick" comes when you have to separate the strut and the coil spring. If the coil spring gets away from you it can cause serious damage or even KILL YOU!

This requires a special tool that you can rent at auto parts stores or rental places. Some parts stores may even swap the struts out for you for a nominal charge.

Once you get the struts re-installed, you'll probably need a front end alignment. Check with your local mechanic.

Good luck and be careful.

Matt