battery vs alternator

Old 09-08-04, 07:45 AM
stumped04
Visiting Guest
battery vs alternator

I'm helping a friend rewire a 1968 Camero SS. He's using a Painless Wiring kit from Perfect Performance Products. As he wants to drive it to Sonic,sit and wait for some "unsuspecting soul" to come by and race (straight out of the '50s!), he doesn't think he'll need to use the alternator. I have a couple of questions.
First, what differences in the wiring would there be? Do you need the voltage regulator?

Also, would you reccommend one battery or two wired in parallel?

Sent Performance Products an e-mail but they did not deem it neccessary to reply. (maybe they were too busy laughing!) Anyway, any advice on this would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-04, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Sorry for the attitude but......................................

Mindless street racing kills a lot of innocent people and I would suspect the supplier doesn't want to contribute to someone's illegal activities!

Old 09-08-04, 10:18 AM
But in answer to your question, many race vehicles (cars, dragsters, etc) don't use alternators, saves weight and horsepower, but does require you to keep the battery charged manually. You won't need a voltage regulator, as there is nothing producing power to regulate (alternators produce about 22 volts), the battery will never make more voltage than it's charged up to.

As for adding a second battery, if you're going to add another 40 lbs of weight, you may as well add the alternator. A single battery is fine, especially for daytime, nighttime use the run time will be reduced due to the added drain of headlights/tailights.

There's no reason, with a good size and fully charged battery, that you can't get a good 2-3 hours of running time (or more).

Old 09-08-04, 10:46 AM
stumped04
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I agree with you and believe me when I say that my friend knows my opinion!

I figured that I wouldn't need the voltage regulator. Thanks for confirming that for me. As for the dual batteries, I brought the added weight to his attention, too and suggested using a marine battery. I hope that was good advice as he already has one and won't have to spend any more money.

Thank you again for your reply. This site and people like you who make it work, have never steered me wrong!

Old 09-08-04, 12:10 PM
If you're talking about a deep cycle battery as a marine battery I would not use that as they are designed for slow drains and slow recharging. I would replace that with a battery that has a lot of cca.

Old 09-08-04, 12:55 PM
I would just stick an alternater on the vehicle any 74 -85 gm alternater uses an internal regulator and is very easy to install and hookup and as per power loss I doubt there would be any if you factor in the ignition components ability to function better when getting getting around 14 volts with an alternater or just 11-12 with a partially discharged battery the extra voltage will help with the loss of power of adding on an alternater and im assuming this vehicle now has electronic ignition instead of points.

Old 09-08-04, 04:11 PM
A street car without an alternator. You've got to be kidding. Do you really have any idea just how much HP that's going to save you? Maybe 1 or 2. Put your effort into suspension and traction and you'll do a lot better.