Explorer front end troubleshooting

Old 09-08-04, 09:44 AM
ernie k
Visiting Guest
Explorer front end troubleshooting

I have a 98 explorer 4x4 4.0 SOHC with two problems that could use some guidance. 105,000 Miles.
Rear end differential whine.....Ford dealer replace the rear bearings at 75,000. recently Im expereiencing a high pitched whine. Checked the fluid level which was low however haven't expereinced any leaks on the garge floor. Some weeping although very minor on the differential housing. one year repair guarantee has expired. Is this a serious problem if topping off the fluids doesn't stop the whine and what could be causing the problem?

Front end passenger side has a thumpng sound that sounds like the tire is out of balance or is worn. Brakes don't seem to be dragging on the rotor and the CV boots are in good shape. The sound is worse at low speed and doesn't change when going around corners. Is this a CV joint issue or other. All fluids in front axle and trnsfer case or topped off with no leaks noticed.

Thanks for you help

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-04, 06:47 PM
slicker
Visiting Guest
if the rear end whine increases with speed then the pinion bearing is bad. you didn't say if any changes after having the bearings replaced occurred, and which bearings were replaced. there is axle bearings, carrier side bearings and pinion bearings all in the rear axle.
as for the noise in the front, when was the last time you rotated your tires? check the tread on the front, if they feel choppy then they need rotated. sounds like choppy tire problem.

Old 09-09-04, 04:42 AM
ernie k
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by slicker
if the rear end whine increases with speed then the pinion bearing is bad. you didn't say if any changes after having the bearings replaced occurred, and which bearings were replaced. there is axle bearings, carrier side bearings and pinion bearings all in the rear axle.
as for the noise in the front, when was the last time you rotated your tires? check the tread on the front, if they feel choppy then they need rotated. sounds like choppy tire problem.
Thanks for the info, only the axle bearing was replaced. If it is the pinion bearing is it a major job. The axle bearing replacement was almost $700. I assume the pinioin is easier to install and less complicated to repair.

Just got back from the dealer........rear pinion bearings need replacing

Last edited by ernie k; 09-09-04 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-09-04, 04:52 AM
not sure i agree...

...with all that. bad bearings are usually described as having a whipping or whirring sound whereas a ring gear and pinion noise is usually described as whine or howl. pinion bearing noise is also load or torque sensitive...in other words...stepping on the gas (increasing torque) and coasting (reducing torque) make the sound change pretty dramatically.

as for $700 for an axle bearing...HOLY S***! that's pretty outrageous sounding. replacing pinion bearings is MORE labor intensive so I'd check around on that if you go that route. all six bearings for that diff probably don't retail for more than a couple hundred.

Old 09-09-04, 12:53 PM
ernie k
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by carguyinva
...with all that. bad bearings are usually described as having a whipping or whirring sound whereas a ring gear and pinion noise is usually described as whine or howl. pinion bearing noise is also load or torque sensitive...in other words...stepping on the gas (increasing torque) and coasting (reducing torque) make the sound change pretty dramatically.

as for $700 for an axle bearing...HOLY S***! that's pretty outrageous sounding. replacing pinion bearings is MORE labor intensive so I'd check around on that if you go that route. all six bearings for that diff probably don't retail for more than a couple hundred.
Just got back from the dealer........rear pinion bearings need replacing, $1100

This make sense for arlington, VA. I don't have any rate manuals to use as a reference

Old 09-09-04, 01:19 PM
i still think that's outrageous...

...and i'm very familiar with cost of living in arlington, va...the dealer retail on the two bearings with races is about $75...add something for a seal and some lubricant and figure double that is only $150.now...the labor time guide pays 4.6 hours...don't know what the shop rate is but at the estimate the dealer gave you it would be in the $200/hour range. is this correct? if so...then i'm all wet. it woul dbe worth your while to drive it down here and get it done...$65/hour labor rate average at the dealers.

does it have independant rear suspension by any chance?

Old 09-10-04, 04:51 PM
slicker
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by ernie k
Thanks for the info, only the axle bearing was replaced. If it is the pinion bearing is it a major job. The axle bearing replacement was almost $700. I assume the pinioin is easier to install and less complicated to repair.

Just got back from the dealer........rear pinion bearings need replacing
sorry but you assumed wrong. you have to take apart everything that was already taken out when the axle bearings were done, then the carrier all has to come out to get to the inner pinion bearing. all depending on how bad the bearing is and how much metal shavings got in the oil, the carrier bearings may need replaced also. at the dealership i work at the labor rate is 65.00 an hour, so you would be looking at @ 325.00 in labor plus whatever the parts cost. i would be getting another estimate from another garage, 1100.00 sounds as if they are replacing the whole axle housing.