97 Jimmy electrial problem

Old 09-27-04, 01:52 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question 97 Jimmy electrial problem

97 Jimmy 4x4, 4.3L, 84,000 miles
I have no spark. The fuel pump doesn't run. The volt meter in dash has went all the way to the left. I only have .2 volt at the ecm ign fuse and at the ign module pink wire with ign on. I have no voltage at fuel pump. This problem at first was a no start try it again and it start for a very short time.

Please HELP
Dan

Old 09-27-04, 02:39 PM
T
I would start with getting a Chilton's or Hayes book for the truck and follow the wiring diagram. It sounds like you have no voltage everywhere. Is your batter charged? All fuses good?

Old 09-27-04, 03:17 PM
D
The battery is charged, engine cranks, fuses good. I have a Haynes. I'm still puzzled.

Confused
Dan

Old 09-27-04, 04:29 PM
J
Did anything happen right before this problem accured such as driving on a flooded road, connecting jumper cables backwards, doing some kind of work on the vehicle or anything else?

Old 09-27-04, 04:58 PM
D
I had a tranny flush done. While they pumped fluid in they overflowed tranny and came out the vent. I had also put new plugs and wires on shortly before.

Help
Dan

Old 09-28-04, 04:50 PM
J
Check for voltage to the PCM. If it is good, get out the wiring diagram and start tracing the circuits. You may end up having to get the PCM checked at the dealer.

Old 09-28-04, 04:58 PM
D
Sounds like a bad ignition switch to me or a bad connection at the battery or starter/block.I guess we will assume the battery has been tested and isn't junk.Check for blown fusible links at the starter also and remove the battery and tray as some years have a connection under there that can get acid soaked and corrode.Check these things and we can go from there.

Old 09-29-04, 07:02 PM
D
I pulled battery and tray out. There is no connection under the tray. Cleaned starter and ground to block connections. I didn't find a fusible link near starter. I've got 12.3 volts at starter. How can I check the ignition switch?
Where should I go next?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 09-29-04, 10:10 PM
J
There are several different terminals of the ignition switch that need to be checked for continuity. A Haynes or Chilton manual should explain excactly how to test it. It's possible that the fuel pump, etc. is working when the key is at start but not at the run position.

Old 09-30-04, 05:03 AM
fuse links...

...are at the upper rear of the left fender, near the junction block. there is a plastic cover to be removed to expose them. pull on them, if one stretches, it's burned up and has done it's job by protecting from an overload on one of the circuits that it feeds...so...the problem won't be the fuse link itself, the real problem will be the short to ground that caused the fuse link to overload.

those vehicles were really bad about ignition switches going bad...you would need a wire diagram and at least a test light (a DVOM would be best) to verify a bad ignition switch.

Old 09-30-04, 05:50 PM
D
The fusible links seem to be in good shape. So I decided to just change the ignition switch. I've got the switch out. The switch I bought doesn't line up with the key in the tumbler.So I've got to wait till tomorrow to find out if this is the problem.

Thanks for all the help!
Dan

Old 10-01-04, 09:07 AM
D
Thanks for the help! Changed the switch, and everything is working great.

Thanks,
Dan

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: