Red vs. Green

Old 09-09-04, 05:28 AM
r3d
Red vs. Green

Is there any particular reason that I can not completely drain and flush out my coolant ( green ), and replace it with the "better protection" of the Dexcool ( red ) ?

1990 Ford F-150, 4.9L yada yada yada.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-04, 10:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The most important factor is to change coolant on a regular basis - either the vehicle or coolant manufacturers recommendation. I'd pick red, just because it matches my eyes most of the time.

Old 09-09-04, 10:46 AM
now...for a serious reply

here's the thing about glycol based coolants. the additives are what differs between dexcool and standard green. they are not compatible altho they can be mixed...the net effect of mixing is that you reduce the quality of dexcool to that of the green stuff. you won't benefit from extended service intervals unless you could somehow completely clean the entire cooling system of any and all traces of the green coolant...a practical impossibility. my advice...stick with the green and service it every two years or 24k miles

Old 09-09-04, 12:16 PM
r3d
Thank you both for the reply.

Old 09-12-04, 08:31 AM
I have read that there is no benefit to installing Dexcool in a vehicle that came with regular antifreeze. I forget the details but even if you remove all traces of the old coolant you cannot remove the (for lack of the correct word) deposits from the cooling system thus the Dexcool cannot be effective as a long life coolant.