egr repair for 1986 Toyota Tercel

Old 09-09-04, 05:49 AM
ligardner
Visiting Guest
Question egr repair for 1986 Toyota Tercel

I have a 1986 Tercel which just failed emissions with a high NOx level. This level has been creeping up for 3 yrs so its not totally unexpected. I would like to eliminate EGR problems before I start throwing serious money at this. I have a 1986 shop manual and am in process of diagnosing the EGR (i.e. with the vacuum guage). Any tips about common problems/solutions with these EGR parts would be appreciated. Also any comments about catalytic converters since that is next item on my list.
thanks,
-Lytt I. Gardner Atlanta, GA

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-04, 10:42 AM
ligardner
Visiting Guest
Question

Here is some more detail on this emissions problem on the 1986 Toyota tercel:
- checked the EGR valve and check valve per the Toyota shop manual. these are both working
- checked the vacuum on the EGR vacuum modulator. The vacuum line entering the EGR vacuum modulator is pulling vacuum, but I was unable to get much of a vacuum reading on the EGR vacuum modulator using the 3-way connector and vacuum guage. So I am not sure how well this EGR vac.mod. is working.

PLEASE NOTE : This is an old care with no OBD-II diagnostic system, so troubleshooting depends on a strong background with these older systems.

Does anybody think I should simply replace the catalytic converter and not waste any more time fiddling with the EGR items?
many thanks,
-Lytt I. Gardner, Atlanta GA

Old 09-10-04, 11:50 AM
High NOx can also be caused by carbon build up, high coolant temp any thing that increases cly temp.

Have you check ignition timing?

Carbon treatment may help....I wouldn't throw a cat at it.