92 Ford Tempo problems

Old 09-09-04, 09:20 AM
bebita2397
Visiting Guest
92 Ford Tempo problems

My daughter just purchased her first car. A used 92 Ford Tempo, 4 cylinder. So far she has replaced a lot of the front end (tie-rods, hub bearing etc), She has changed all the tires, had an oil change and antifreeze flush.

She is having a problem with it and I figured that this site has always been so helpful in the past regarding other projects and problems that I would ask here.

The car if not warmed up alot tends to stall on her. Even after driving it after about 10 minutes, it will stall. Also, the air bag light will flash for a minute then disapear then re-appear. Does this air bag light have anything to do with the stalling. What can be done to repair. I hate just taking it somewhere without knowing what to do otherwise some people will try to rip you off and I really cannot afford too many immediate repairs for this car.

I would greatly appreciate any help that you can give me.
Thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-04, 10:53 AM
stalling vs air bag light

there is no relation between the two. i hope she had this car checked out by someone before she bought it and knew ahead of time of all the issues she would be addressing as the "new" owner. if not...well...caveat emptor as they say

as for the stalling...it may something as simple as a vacuum leak or it may need a major tune up with a throttle body cleaning...at the very worse case it could be a worn out throttle body even...depending on how many mile is has on it and what kind of service it has seen in the past. it's a safety issue and should be addressed

on the airbag light...get it to someone and have it scanned for codes and get a recommendation regarding repair...then post it here and i'm sure you'll get some guidance as to whether it all makes sense. this also is a safety issue and needs to be addressed...sooner rather than later

Old 09-09-04, 11:08 AM
bebita2397
Visiting Guest
92 Ford Tempo Problems

Thanks for the reply. Being an anxious teen, she jumped the gun and purchased it from someone she knew so no, no one really checked it deeply. We had someone we know who is very good with cars work on it, once she got it and he fixed the front end work that I described early, thus saving us tons of money. As for the electrical or air bag stuff, he does not have the equipment to scan that. The car just passed inspection but we want to make sure that it is safe enough for to drive to and from school.

Also, what can you tell me about the serpentine belt? Is that something expensive to have changed and is it a pain to do yourself?

I appreciate all of your advise.

Old 09-09-04, 12:19 PM
serp belt...

...on that car is a pian because you don't have much room at the front of the engine to work with...but aren't really that expensive.

ps...in my state, a car with an airbag light on doesn't pass inspection.

Old 09-09-04, 12:44 PM
bebita2397
Visiting Guest
The light does not stay on, it will just come on out of no where, then turn off and go back on.

Thanks again