cut-off switch

Old 09-09-04, 10:50 AM
stumped04
Visiting Guest
cut-off switch

I'd like to install a simple cut-off switch so that it can't be started until the switch is on (even with the key) Where would be the easiest place to put it?

1992 Chevy Cavelier
2.2 L SFI

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-04, 10:55 AM
cut off...

probably where the driver can reach it easily...

Old 09-09-04, 11:32 AM
stumped04
Visiting Guest
I apologize for my idiocy and bow to the sage wisdom of an ASE Certified Master Mechanic. I come to this site because I respect the advice of someone who is far more qualified and knowledgable than I. If I wanted or needed a response like you just gave me, I would have asked my next door neighbors 6 yr old daughter.

I should have been more specific on what I was asking for. I wish to install a cut-off switch using a 30 amp relay switch and a 35 amp SPST switch. I want to install it where it's tapped into a secondary circuit and will still disable the starting circuit. Any suggestions?

I'm sorry...again I'll be more specific. Any INTELLIGENT suggestions?

Old 09-09-04, 12:16 PM
now for a real answer...

I apologize for my idiocy...apology accepted.

as for the relay circuit you wish to install...find the purple wire coming from the ignition switch going to the starter solenoid and cut it and connect the side going to the starter to the controlled side of the relay connect the switch side of the wire to the feed or switched side of the relay. next...find a wire that's hot when the key is in run AND start... from the fuse box is probably easiest and run it to your switch (BTW...a 35 amp switch is overkill...1 amp is plenty) and the other side of the switch to the relay coil. finally, ground the relay coil. operationally it will work like this...when you turn on the switch, current will flow thru the relay coil to ground and closing the contacts as the key is rotated to the start position, current will flow from the ign switch thru the relay and to the starter solenoid causing it to crank. if you don't flip your switch the relay contacts don't close and you have an open in the solenoid circuit.

this same control circuit could be applied to the ignition or the fuel injector circuits...you'd have a cranks but won't start without turning the switch on...whereas using the example above will cause a no crank, no start situation.

as far as where to install it...do you want the switch easy to get to for the driver or hidden somewhere? not that it really matters...you can put it in the trunk and just run long wires...pick the spot you think suits your needs and do the wiring

i hope this is what you wanted...see...i'm not such a bad guy...just a bit of a smart a** at times

finally...not sure what you mean by a secondary circuit...but what i've explained will work for what i believe you want to do

best of luck to you...

Old 09-15-04, 08:32 AM
Mine isnt wired quite at elaborate as that, but certainly works as it should. I have mine hidden, but relatively easy to reach. You could try to install the switch in the glovebox..or interior fuse compartment...or even under the dash. A theif isnt going to spend alot of time looking for a kill switch if he cant hotwire a car.