Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Jeep wranger still running hot

Visiting Guest

09-09-04, 03:57 PM   #1  
sicando
Jeep wranger still running hot

Ok fellas, here is my problem. I have a 1991 Jeep wrangler 4.0 5sp and you guys helped me solve some issues with it. The problem is the temp. guage is showing 210 + while running at regular speeds, and higher if pulling up hills. I have changed the coolant,thermostat and the serpentine belt, and the guage still reads 210+ degrees. My question is two fold. One....is this an ok temp. to run at or do I need to look further to solve this issue...(the thermostat is a 195) and if its too hot for the vehicle, where do I look next?? The help you all have given me has been much appreciated, and it sure is a great help when your a little unsure of your knowledge. THANKS....

Sponsored Links

09-10-04, 02:57 PM   #2  
I would check the cooling system temp with a thermometer in the rad to get an idea if the guage is even right.At this point I would not worry that much unless you mean it's going in the red zone.Modern cars will run at 220f alot of the time

Visiting Guest

09-11-04, 02:42 PM   #3  
sicando
OK on that one...the 210 point on the guage is at high noon, and the red zone does not start until 260 degrees, but I was worried cause the temp on thermostat is 195, and the boiling point is 212...seems too close for comfort, but now I hear anywhere from 185 to 240 is an ok temp. I had no clue the range could safely be that hot. Thanks for the reply.

09-11-04, 04:13 PM   #4  
Radiator caps hold pressure to raise the boiling point of water that's why cooling systems don't boil over at much higher temps than 212 F.

09-11-04, 04:23 PM   #5  
For emissions reasons, modern cars regularly run in the 215-225 range normally. Most electric fans are programmed to come on around 225. Most radiator caps maintain a pressure of anywhere from 10lbs to 18lbs. For every lb of pressure the coolant is kept under, it raises the boiling point by 2 degrees.

Visiting Guest

09-12-04, 10:02 PM   #6  
joecamel75
I am a certified mopar tech and with what experience I have working on wrangler 4.0 it sounds like it is running exactly where it should be!

Visiting Guest

09-18-04, 12:44 PM   #7  
sicando
Thanks to all who replied. I feel MUCH BETTER about running with the temp. at 210 or 215 degrees. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't ignoring something that needed 'takin care of' Thanks to all !

Search this Thread