Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

92 tercel 1,5l wont start (timing belt?)

Visiting Guest

09-10-04, 05:00 PM   #1  
mousitch
92 tercel 1,5l wont start (timing belt?)

I drove my 92 tercel to the local market....ran great..shut it off went inside..came out would not start just hearing the stater winding the engine extra fast...I believe timing belt problem.Hopefully because my engine was just starting I didnt cause any damage when trying to start..How feasible would it be for one to tackle replacing this belt? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-12-04, 12:10 AM   #2  
joecamel75
Timing belt

I am sorry to say it does sound like the timing belt may have broken. I have a 94 tercel with the 1.5L motor and have recently changed mine. It took me about 45 minutes but I am also a certified tech. There is a lot of room in the Tercel's engine compartment to move around in so it should be an easy enough job for just about anyone. If your belt broke on startup then the chances of bending valves isn't as great as it would if it were running. best thing to do is get a manual and give it a go. good luck to you and post if you have any more questions.

Search this Thread