Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

'84 Mustang Bellowing Smoke

09-12-04, 11:57 AM   #1  
'84 Mustang Bellowing Smoke

I have an '84 Mustang, 5.0 liter engine, 5-speed manual transmission and 82,000 miles. For the last few weeks, the car has been bellowing smoke from the engine. I recently changed out the clutch with help from this forum and noticed oil stains from the back of the valve covers. So I changed the valve cover gaskets, plugs and rebuilt the carburetor and it seems like it is smoking more.

Looking where the smoke is coming from, it's from the automatic choke heat tube on the passenger side of the exhaust manifold only. Nothing from the opposite side and very little out the exhaust pipe. But the amount of smoke looks like the car is on fire. Any direction on how to fix?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

09-12-04, 01:45 PM   #2  
Heat Tube

Do you mean the tube that goes from the exhaust manifold to the snorkel?
Because the shroud on the exhaust manifold (that this tube connects to) can become a nice bowl full of oil (leaks or spillage when work is being done) and keeps it nice and close to that hot exhaust
If this is it, the shroud is held on by two bolts from underneath
You'll have to take it off and clean it

09-13-04, 06:36 AM   #3  
Yes - the sheet metal-like tube that connects on the outside of the exhaust manifold and goes upwards through a flexible pipe to the air cleaner assembly. Makes sense that it could collect oil and it would burn off, but the amount of smoke and length of time the car has been smoking makes me think there must be a gallon of oil in there. Is it possible there is that much oil in there?

09-13-04, 12:54 PM   #4  
Well,

Not a gallon but if it's the shroud I'm thinking it can get really bad
Especially if it's dented or crudded up with cooked oil near the backside
Even a 1/2 pint of oil would smoke pretty bad sitting in that shroud "bowl"
Like you get kind of a James Bond smoke screen thing happening

Search this Thread