camaro poor braking

Old 09-12-04, 09:02 PM
camaro poor braking

I have a 94 camaro 3.4L auto with 90k on it. My brakes suck it feels as if the pedal is bottoming out, i can be going 25 and literally slam on them and it feels like the pedal won't go anyfurther and I can barely stop. Thus far new pads and rotors in the front. New shoes in the rear drums. I completely flushed/bled the brake lines with new clean fluid, the old was nastay and black (no air bubbles at all during flushing). Minimal improvement. If this matter the e-brake does work 100% better with the new shoes in the rear. What could be causing this problem, these brakes have scared me more then once.

Thanks for any and all help

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-04, 09:25 PM
It could likely be bad seals in the master cylinder.

You should not be driving this car until the problem is fixed! The e-brake doesn't provide nearly enough braking power to make it safe enough, as you probably already know. The cost to have it fixed is very cheap compared to what it would cost if you had a wreck.

Old 09-12-04, 10:29 PM
i know i really dont drive it at all. Is there any way to test if it is the master cylinder or to eliminate other things like perhaps the calipers

thanks much

Old 09-12-04, 11:26 PM
If the pedal is going to the floor it is probably a bad mastercylinder calipers would not cause this condition unless they was leaking fluid.
if you had a problem with the brake booster the brakes wont be very good but pedal height should be higher than normal when appling brakes, usually pumping the brakes up with the engine off then starting the engine will tell you if the booster is working as the pedal should go lower once engine is started this is assuming the vehilce uses a vacum assisted brake booster.

Old 09-13-04, 12:38 AM
it deffinetly is not the booster. i saw no signs of leakage around the calipers. I am a very avid DIY mechanic my car has never been to the shop i have done all work on it. I feel that doin a master cylinder is nothing major but when i look in my repair manual it speaks of bench bleading, what exactly is this?

thanks

Old 09-13-04, 07:54 PM
The master cylinder should come with instructions small hose and adapters for bench bleeding. (check the box before you buy it) I find it easier to do on the car but it will take 2 people. All you are doing is getting the air out of the master cylinder first so you don't put the air into the brake lines.

Old 09-13-04, 08:17 PM
"...what exactly is this?"
Putting the MC in a vise (OK, it sounds bad already...it's not really good...)
Pumping the assembly by hand (OK, it's sounds easy but it's not...you gotta puuuuush...and puuuusssh... and of course worry that you new part is even tighter in a vise cause you were pushing so hard)
You pump out all the air and brake fluid is all over your workbench and the ground and you and the EPA is at your door and there is no air left in the MC...
But it's really very easy, other than that, to replace a master cylinder

OK car nut, how do you car bleed a master cylinder?
Just a basic brake bleed?
I don't want to follow the intructions any more!

Old 09-14-04, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by slickshift
"...what exactly is this?"
Putting the MC in a vise (OK, it sounds bad already...it's not really good...)
Pumping the assembly by hand (OK, it's sounds easy but it's not...you gotta puuuuush...and puuuusssh... and of course worry that you new part is even tighter in a vise cause you were pushing so hard)
You pump out all the air and brake fluid is all over your workbench and the ground and you and the EPA is at your door and there is no air left in the MC...
But it's really very easy, other than that, to replace a master cylinder

OK car nut, how do you car bleed a master cylinder?
Just a basic brake bleed?
I don't want to follow the intructions any more!
The adapters will screw into the brakeline ports. You take small hose from the adapters to the reservoir. Fill the reservior with brake fluid. Keep the hoses submurged in fluid in the reservoirs. Have some one press the brake pedal slowly to the floor. Then slowly release. Let it sit for 15 seconds or so. Continue to repeat untill no bubbles are coming from the hoses.

Remove the adapters and hoses. Hook up the brake lines. If you were careful with the brake lines and did not let a lot of air get in them you may not have to bleed the brakes if there was no air in the system when you started.

Old 09-14-04, 08:37 PM
Ahhh...

That sounds much better
Thank you very much!