Chevy Van Headlights

Old 09-13-04, 03:58 AM
Chevy Van Headlights

I have a 1999 Chevy Van 3500 express. The high beams work but the low beams do not. I tried replacing the headlights thinking maybe both low beams were burned out, to no avail. Only the high beams come on. Checked all the fuses and couldn`t find anything. Are they on a separate circuit? It has the full size headlamps, not the individual type bulbs that just slip in like some models . Any suggestions anyone??? I cannot drive at night with only high beams. Thanks............

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-04, 08:39 AM
I would pull out the wiring diagram and go checking. It may be that the switch itself is bad, or perhaps a the relay.

Old 09-13-04, 09:43 AM
check it...

...at the dimmer switch harness...current on one wire FROM the headlamp switch...current coming out/going to the headlamps on either of two wires...low beam or high beam. so...with the headlamps on there should be current on two wires...one of them all the time and the other two should alternate when you flip from high to low beam...missing current on one wire...replace the dimmer switch

Old 09-13-04, 03:27 PM
If the dimmer switch does not repair the problem I would suggest replacing the daytime running lights relay.It's located in the i/p fuse/relay center.

Old 09-14-04, 04:12 PM
Where would I start to look for the dimmer switch? Under the dash? Is it a plug in type like the emergency flashers? Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Old 09-15-04, 04:09 AM
at the base of the column...

...get down at the bottom of the column, probably need to remove the lower hush panel/knee bolster and work the lever, then look for the rod that moves the switch...then you'll see the connector

Old 09-15-04, 03:02 PM
You may want to try the drl relay first because I think the dimmer switch is part of the multifunction switch(pricey) at the top of the column.A quick call to a Gm parts department will get you the price and answer.I'll try to remember and check tomorrow for you.

Old 09-16-04, 04:47 AM
Thanks I`ll try that