Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Fuel Injector '96 Sunfire

CAL

09-13-04, 10:32 AM   #1  
Fuel Injector '96 Sunfire

Friend has a '96 Sunfire and says injector is leaking. Just wondering if there is a way to stop the leak or how hard is it to replace a injector, any special tools or tips?
I have turned quite a few wrenches, but never replaced injectors before, so thought I would get your advice before going over to see what is "really" going on.

Sponsored Links

09-13-04, 02:52 PM   #2  
Is it TBI or ported? Is it leaking through the injector itself or one of the O rings.

CAL

09-13-04, 03:26 PM   #3  
Darn it Desi, I haven't even looked at the thing yet so I don't know if it is TBI or ported. I believe it is leaking at an o-ring as he says he can see and smell the gas. Can you just replace the o-rings?
Maybe I will have to go look at the thing and see what I see......

09-13-04, 04:50 PM   #4  
The nozzel is exposed on TBI so it could be comong right out the nozzel. There really isn't any O-rings that fail on those. If it's ported, it has an O-ring at the top and the bottom. The bottom one mainly seals vacuum but the top one seals fuel. That's not hard to change. You just have to get access to the rail and lift it up to sneak the injector out from under it. Look at the leak closely. Dry it completely before having someone turn the key on so you can see where it originates. Sometimes the seams of the injector itself will leak. In that case you have to replace the injector.

Search this Thread