mustang e303 cam

Old 09-14-04, 08:50 AM
royalet
Visiting Guest
mustang e303 cam

just got an 89 5.0 stang with an e303 cam in it, The motor seems to shake a tad bit, i was told it does that because of the cam theuy installed, is this possible, and if it is can something be done to fix this. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-04, 11:06 AM
Not sure what e303 cam is but if they did replace a cam with one more for racing higher duration which is the amount of time the valves are held open and higher lobe lift it is not uncommon for the engine to shake at lower rpm like at idle as they are designed to run better at a higher rpm range versus a stock cam where it is made to provide a good idle and decent overall performance through out the rpm range of the cam.
you could take it by a shop to check over the engine to make sure its not missing or have any other problems that may cause it to shake if none found ther isn't much that can be done about it except replacing the cam to a more stock profile.
you may try to contact the manufacturer of the tach or search for them online to see if you can get info for hooking it up correctly.

Old 09-14-04, 01:38 PM
Alphabet Cam

Yes, the Ford Racing Performance Parts e303 cam could make it shake a bit

Old 09-14-04, 01:45 PM
Hey royalet you must have bought the stang huh?
Did you get the list of mods?
It could be important as you try to work the bugs out
For example: depending on what heads are on it, you may not be able to return to the stock cam, stuff like that

Old 09-15-04, 08:15 AM
royalet
Visiting Guest
[QUOTE=slickshift]Hey royalet you must have bought the stang huh?
Did you get the list of mods?
It could be important as you try to work the bugs out
For example: depending on what heads are on it, you may not be able to return to the stock cam, stuff like that[/QUO

heres the mods that i know, 89. 5.0 5spd tremac, centerforce clutch, 373 gears, subframe connectors, cant recall the injectors (lb), motor bored .40 over, E303 cam, 75mm throttle body, cold air kit fender mount, cobra upper and lower intake, trickflow heads, flowmasters, h-pipe, no cats, the car need some TLC got a 5inch cobra r hood, BBK lowering springs, i guess since you say the cam may make it shake some, i guess that why its doing. I have a question when i creank it up, the battery guage seems to fluctuate it will raise when i step on the gas, is this normal for mustangs, or do i need to look for an alternator? and since it has no cats i fdetect a smell sometimes when i sit in the car and drive, like an exhaust smell, or could tat be from it sitting for a while (year and a half)

Old 09-15-04, 04:25 PM
Underdrive pullies

The fluctuation of the battery gauge would be normal if there are underdrive pullies installed
And looking at the other mods that's a strong possibility
You could tell for sure with a voltmeter
In fact you may want to check that, depending on what size they are you may not be able to let it idle for long without draining the battery
Hook a voltmeter to the battery and check it @ idle and then @ around 2200RPM

The exhaust smell could be alot of things, check for leaks from the headers all the way back
You can run a 5.0 w/o cats and have it pass a sniffer, (it's all in the tune), so it doesn't smell because it has no cats

Old 09-16-04, 06:46 AM
royalet
Visiting Guest
mustang

yeah it does have pullies installed, and i will check from the header back for leaks, thanks again