Leak Detector ???

Old 09-15-04, 04:55 AM
Leak Detector ???

I got kinda dumbfounded the other day. My mother takes her cars to the dealer for service religously which is good. The other day she took in her Camry and they found a few minor things but one that stood out is that they told her she had some oil leaks and they couldn't pinpoint where they were coming from and told her that for $90.00 they could put in a dye and then they would be able to see the area that is leaking.

Now I was a mechanic back in the mid to late 80's and got out of it to do HVAC so I'm not up to date on newer cars and the technology involved. I still do all my own work and have restored several hot-rods. But in 20+ years of being around cars I've never heard of anything to add to your motor oil to find a leak. Does this sort of thing actually exist or are they pulling her leg? When I look for a leak experience can usually lead me to it. If it's that hard a good cleaning then recheck usually does it.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-04, 05:49 AM
The dye is used with a UV light. Does work well and it dosen't have to cleaned to be used.

Your old method still works well. The dye might be reserved for the difficult ones to find. They also have dye you can add to find A/C leaks for use with the UV light.

Old 09-15-04, 11:26 AM
I'm familure with the uv dye for hvac and have used it many times but was not aware they were using it for oil leaks. That's intresting.

Old 09-15-04, 11:32 AM
also...

...they make compatible dyes for just about every fluid on the car now.

Old 09-15-04, 05:27 PM
Oil really travels and spreads. Dye is the best way to follow the trail and be able to tell the old oil from the new oil.

Old 09-16-04, 02:54 PM
Group Moderator
On the other hand, I don't think I would spend $90 for the service; there aren't THAT many places that a Camry will leak, LOL.

Old 09-16-04, 03:46 PM
That's an hour's worth of labor at a dealer. sounds reasonable. Time is money to a flat rate tech.

Old 09-16-04, 04:22 PM
All it takes is one place you can't find.