Power Steering Fluid Flush

Old 09-15-04, 10:12 AM
Lightbulb Power Steering Fluid Flush

Hi,

I have a '97 Honda Accord and wanted to know how often I should get my Power Steering Fluid flushed??

Thanks,

greenda4

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-04, 11:08 AM
PS fluid

honda doesn't recommend flushing the power steering system AND the system has a filter in it (non serviceable). in the absence of the manufacturers guidelines, you can do it as often as you like...i would think every couple years would suffice. also...make sure you use compatible PS fluid or you may cause cold performance issues. NO ATF!

Old 09-15-04, 06:06 PM
Since Honda does not give a specification for their power steering fluid I would stay away from after market fluids. There are some that say for Hondas. I just bought some to flush my son's Prelude at the dealer. It was $2.75 for 12 oz bottle. My price was $2.20. Another dealer was $3.90. The next day I saw some off brand at the auto store for $2.00.

If you have more than 1 Honda dealer in town call around. Different dealers here charge different prices for the same item and they do not all offer the same discount if you can buy at a discount.

Old 09-15-04, 09:49 PM
Professional opinion here.

Stay away from "flushes". They are the modern day version of the "snake oil" that used to be sold from covered wagons in the Old West. A lot of times they cause more problems than they allegedly prevent.

As today's newer vehicles go longer and longer between recommended services, many dealers and garages are getting into selling these flushes to make their money.

We never flushed the engine, transmissions and power steering systems before and our cars worked just fine!

Just remember the old adage - "If it ain't broke, don't flush(I mean fix) it"!

Matt

Old 09-17-04, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by smogtek

Stay away from "flushes". They are the modern day version of the "snake oil" that used to be sold from covered wagons in the Old West. A lot of times they cause more problems than they allegedly prevent.

As today's newer vehicles go longer and longer between recommended services, many dealers and garages are getting into selling these flushes to make their money.

We never flushed the engine, transmissions and power steering systems before and our cars worked just fine!

Matt
I agree if you are talking about using some form of cleaner to flush the system. However flushing as in draining the old fluid and replacing with new fluid can do no harm. In fact the new fluid can promote longer life and minmize the chance for leaks.

Old 09-21-04, 01:52 PM
bri208
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by smogtek

Matt
I've heard of a guy who flushed his tranny fluid in a 97 Taurus wagon then 300kms later had an engine fire, culprit? Burnt tranny fluid. He was towing a trailer with 1,000 pounds or less and never had a tranny problem or tranny flush. With 180,000kms why did this happen? I though tranny flush machines were 'fool proof'? Could the flush has 'dislodged' some old dirt?

Old 09-21-04, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by bri208
I've heard of a guy who flushed his tranny fluid in a 97 Taurus wagon then 300kms later had an engine fire, culprit? Burnt tranny fluid. He was towing a trailer with 1,000 pounds or less and never had a tranny problem or tranny flush. With 180,000kms why did this happen? I though tranny flush machines were 'fool proof'? Could the flush has 'dislodged' some old dirt?
Burnt transmission fluid causing an engine fire---I don't think so
Fresh fluid can disolve varnish deposits in a neglected transmission and it can fail. But if this happens the transmissions life would have come to an end soon anyway.

Regular fluid changes will go a long way to keeping an automatic transmission going. If you do this flushing is not necessary anyway. You change engine oil don't you to make the engine last---well why would you not do the same for the transmission??

Old 09-21-04, 02:47 PM
bri208
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by car nut
Burnt transmission fluid causing an engine fire---I don't think so
Fresh fluid can disolve varnish deposits in a neglected transmission and it can fail. But if this happens the transmissions life would have come to an end soon anyway...........
From what I understand, the fluid came out the dipstick tube then caught fire. I thought the only way this could happen is two reasons;
1) Not putting the dipstick back in
2) Overheating the tranny (which brings a question to the table, why did it overheat 300kms after the flush?)

I think tranny fluid is flammable.

Old 09-21-04, 02:54 PM
Could the flush has 'dislodged' some old dirt?
Yes and Taurus trannies are prone to failure anyhow.

Old 09-21-04, 07:50 PM
From what I understand, the fluid came out the dipstick tube then caught fire. I thought the only way this could happen is two reasons;
1) Not putting the dipstick back in
2) Overheating the tranny (which brings a question to the table, why did it overheat 300kms after the flush?)

I think tranny fluid is flammable.
Yes it will burn similar to oil. If it came out the dipstick tube I would guess it was over filled and or overheated. Many automatic transmissions I check are over filled.