Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1995 Toyota Corolla Won't Start in Damp Weather

09-16-04, 10:07 AM   #1  
1995 Toyota Corolla Won't Start in Damp Weather

Hi, I have a 95 Toyota Corolla that has never given me any problems whatsoever. However, recently she won't start after she has either been left outside during a rain storm or even when just sitting outside on our gravel driveway. I'm assuming that some component is getting damp from the ground up, and that is causing the problem (there is no damage to the body that would allow any rainwater under the hood).

If I park the car in my garage, she starts immediately ever time.

Any idea as to what the problem is and what I should do to remedy would be appreciated. TIA.

Regards,

Henry

Sponsored Links

09-16-04, 05:27 PM   #2  
You didn' say how many miles or maintenance. Sounds like cap and wires, us only OEM Toyota.

09-16-04, 06:39 PM   #3  
Thanks for the reply.

This vehicle has 115K miles on it. Normal maintenance (regular oil changes, other fluids flushed once a year), but no parts have been replaced since I've owned the vehicle (32K when I bought it), and this vehicle runs great. The timing belts were changed at 60K.

The head-scratcher is that the problem only occurs when the vehicle is left outside. I've parked it in the garage for the past week (wife's car got bumped), and it starts every single time.

Please advise. Thanks.

Henry

09-16-04, 07:42 PM   #4  
Yeah if it's the original cap/rotor, and wires it's time for new anyway
You can inspect these yourself but honestly if they have (at least) 100k on them...new ones are in order anyway
Hard start in the damp is a pretty good indicator they are going bad
I'd get some new spark plugs too
And toyotaman is right about using Toyota parts on this

ps don't forget that new timing belt within the next 5K!

09-17-04, 09:01 AM   #5  
Thanks for the feedback.

Can you perhaps suggest/recommend some OEM's. I've found Bosch, Japan brands, but I can't tell if they are Toyota OEM's. Thanks.

Regards,

Henry

09-17-04, 09:31 AM   #6  
Only at the dealer

09-17-04, 04:41 PM   #7  
Orginal Toyota will cost more but, it's pay me now or pay me latter.

I have never seen any brand hold up as well. Usually cause problems in six months or less.

Search this Thread