1995 Plymouth Voyager Oxygen Sensor

Old 09-15-04, 06:44 PM
smj5169
Visiting Guest
1995 Plymouth Voyager Oxygen Sensor

Yes I have a 1995 Plymouth Voyager with a 3.0 engine, it has 98,000 miles on it. The check engine light came on and I checked the codes and by the code (21) it is the oxygen sensor. The van has been hesitating when you take off from a start and even had a small backfire once or twice. Would the oxygen sensor cause these problems? Also in my Haynes manual it show what the sensor electrical connector looks like and it says to follow wire to sensor. I have not been able to find sensor yet. If I could get any help with this I would appreciate it. Thanks

Old 09-15-04, 09:32 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
While replacing an O2 sensor that's been hanging out in a hot exhaust stream for 98K miles wouldn't be a bad idea, it may or may not clear the code.

Many other things could be wrong causing the O2 sensor to set a code. A few possibilities: lean air/fuel ratio caused by a failing fuel pump, restricted fuel filter or a vacuum leak.

At a minimum a "correct" repair should involve checking the O2 sensor amplitude (waveform) to determine if the sensor is operating correctly and responding to changes in the air/fuel ratio.

Replacing it certainly won't hurt, but don't be surprised if the code comes back.

HTH

Matt

Old 09-16-04, 04:07 PM
You should definately do some further diagnosis. O/2 sensors are RARELY the cause of those codes. They're merely reporting what's actually happening in the engine. Just because they read lean doesn't mean the sensor is defective. The engine may really be running lean. That said, at that mileage it is probably at least "weak" and it wouldn't hurt to replace it. It could help you gas mileage after the problem is found.

Old 09-16-04, 06:01 PM
smj5169
Visiting Guest
What could be some of the possible problems causing the oxygen sensor code to go off? I have changed the fuel filter later and had a complete tune-up within the last year. Just would like to know because I am going to be trading van in at first of year to buy something else and just don't want to put alot of money in it. The engine on the 3.0 is sideways were would the o2 sensor be? Thanks.

Old 09-16-04, 08:16 PM
S
See above for possible problems, but like we've said, you should get a diagnosis if you want to be sure.

On the 3.0 there should only be one O2 sensor if it's an OBD-II certified vehicle (check the Emission Control Label) on the underside of the hood.

The O2 is usually located on the rear exhaust manifold near the firewall and can be somewhat difficult to access and remove if you don't have the experience or correct tools. You may be able to access it by removing the air cleaner housing.

Matt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: