AC question

Old 09-17-04, 06:02 PM
Ownsa93sunbird
Visiting Guest
AC question

Hey guys, I havent posted in a while...I have a question about my ac, When i turn the ac on I can feel it take the power away from the car, before when I would switch it over to heater the power would return. but now when I switch to the heater it still takes a lot of power from my engine. ( it drains engine power bad) I have to turn it completely off before turning out on a main road, other wise it wouldnt have enough power.
Any idea whats wrong?
the car is a 1993 pontiac sunbird, 2.0 4 cyl, 3 spd auto
Thanx
God Bless

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-04, 07:07 PM
slicker
Visiting Guest
what position do you have the air flow in? if it is in the defrost mode the compressor still engages even though you are not using the ac. if you have it in the panel mode and still losing power check the compressor and see if it is engageing.

Old 09-18-04, 10:45 PM
Ownsa93sunbird
Visiting Guest
Re:

The compressor engages on all air flow settings, on hot or cool, it doesnt make a difference
Thanx
Craig

Old 09-20-04, 06:35 PM
slicker
Visiting Guest
sounds like you have a short to ground somewhere. my first guess would be the ac cycling switch is possibly bad. for a few bucks you can purchase one and swap it.

Old 09-20-04, 06:39 PM
slicker
Visiting Guest
sorry, i kind of jump ahead of myself. first disconnect the ac cycling switch and put the air flow control switch in panel position making sure that ac is off. if the compressor is not engaging then do what i said before.

Old 09-20-04, 07:25 PM
Ownsa93sunbird
Visiting Guest
where is the ac cycling switch located?

Old 09-21-04, 04:22 AM
wait...

...i don't think it could be the cycling switch which is in the circuit between the relay and the ac compressor clutch. i'd be looking at the control switch or the relay itself. you really need a schematic to follow the path of current flow to figure out which component is bad.

the cycling switch just cycles the compressor so the evaporator doesn't freeze up.

get the control head exposed and with the engine running and the compressor engaged when it shouldn't be, disconnect the control switch, if the compressor keeps running, i'd say the relay is stuck...if the compressor disengages, then it sounds like the switch is shorted.