Dodge Caravan can't turn key in ignition

Old 09-19-04, 01:55 PM
ck0111
Visiting Guest
Dodge Caravan can't turn key in ignition

I have a 1998 Dodge grand caravan that I can't get the key to turn in the ignition. I thoughr perhaps the car was not in park or some such, but after some length of time jiggling the key and park selector, I can't get it to budge.

If I didn't know any better I would say I was trying to use my key in someone else's van is just won't turn.

Any suggestions for trying to get this working?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-04, 02:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you try moving the steering wheel right or left while turning the key? Sometimes it puts a bind on the lock.

Old 09-19-04, 02:10 PM
ck0111
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by goldstar
Did you try moving the steering wheel right or left while turning the key? Sometimes it puts a bind on the lock.
Yes, I tried moving it back and forth and initially it had a lot of play (like it wasn't locked) but then when I was pulling it to the left, it locked - as it normally would be if the car was parked, iginition off, key out.

Old 09-21-04, 05:44 AM
ck0111
Visiting Guest
It ended being my lock cylinder and was relatively easy to replace. $120 poorer, the van starts like a champ.

Because I could not turn the key to disengage the clip that kept the cylinder in, I attempted to pull the clip out (at suggestion of the dealer and ruined my needle nose pliers) to no avail. I ended up using a drill to drill a hole out of it so I could get a better grip and pull it out. Worked like a champ.

Easy repair and saved myself close to another $200 in labor and tow...

Old 09-21-04, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the update
It was wise to goto the dealer and pay the extra for the cyl.
Aftermarket ones are cheeper but fer sure you'll end up w/more headaches