89 Camaro Fuel Pump

Old 09-20-04, 06:58 AM
Dooahhh
Visiting Guest
Question 89 Camaro Fuel Pump

I could use some expert help in changing my "89" RE camaro's fuel pump. To make a long story short...
1...I checked all the relays I could find (5) under the hood and they all are working.
2...All fuses on the fuse board are ok too.
3...I installed a new fuel filter (In front of the drivers side rear tire).
4...I cranked the engine while I had the filter off and no fuel came out nor did any leak out while I was changing the filter.
5...I'm not even sure it has a fuel pump. Had the car since 92 and never heard anything running when the key is turned on.
6...I'm told it's difficult to reach as one must drop the gas tank, muffler, and possibly the rear axil assumming the car has an electric pump.
7...The engine in fuel injected 2.8 liter I believe.
8...If there is a fuel pump and I can change it in my driveway by cutting out a piece of the trunk metal from the top, can anyone tell me where exactally it is located or perhaps any other thing I can do to test or fix the damn thing.

Thank you
Dooahhh..............

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-04, 08:55 PM
It is in the tank and it is a "tough" one to change.

Dropping the tank is mandatory and, if I remember correctly, so is dropping the rear axle. Last one I did was an '86 and I dropped the axle.

I have seen the trunk area cut on ONE Camaro in my career. It wasn't pretty, but it worked. I seem to remember the cut being near the center or a bit to the left just behind the seatback, but don't quote me on it.

As for hearing the pump, if you listen at the filler neck during the first 2 seconds of "key on" you should hear it.

Good luck,

Matt

Old 09-21-04, 03:17 AM
the tank is setting kinda sideways instead of being flat in this model and I dont think you would be able to access the pump by cutting a hole in the trunk area.
you dont have to completely remove the axle but you may have to remove or lower the stabilizing bars just behind the axle.
usually you only have to cut off the exhuast on dual muffler exhuast systems which is mostly just on v-8 model camaros.
and before you do anything check for voltage at the fuel pump connector near the tank while having someone cycle the key on and off and while cranking just to make sure the pump is getting power before condeming it.

Old 09-21-04, 08:28 AM
Dooahhh
Visiting Guest
89 Camaro fuel pump...

Originally Posted by smogtek
It is in the tank and it is a "tough" one to change.

Dropping the tank is mandatory and, if I remember correctly, so is dropping the rear axle. Last one I did was an '86 and I dropped the axle.

I have seen the trunk area cut on ONE Camaro in my career. It wasn't pretty, but it worked. I seem to remember the cut being near the center or a bit to the left just behind the seatback, but don't quote me on it.

As for hearing the pump, if you listen at the filler neck during the first 2 seconds of "key on" you should hear it.

Good luck,

Matt
Thanks very much for the info Matt it all helps.........

Old 09-21-04, 08:33 AM
Dooahhh
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by bejay
the tank is setting kinda sideways instead of being flat in this model and I dont think you would be able to access the pump by cutting a hole in the trunk area.
you dont have to completely remove the axle but you may have to remove or lower the stabilizing bars just behind the axle.
usually you only have to cut off the exhuast on dual muffler exhuast systems which is mostly just on v-8 model camaros.
and before you do anything check for voltage at the fuel pump connector near the tank while having someone cycle the key on and off and while cranking just to make sure the pump is getting power before condeming it.
Thanks much for the info Bejay, I'll look for that fuel pump connector and check the voltage before I get out the saws and hammers. Now all I have to do is find the damn thing. Knowing this car, it's probably "inside" the tape deck...

Old 09-21-04, 08:46 AM
lol...
If you're under the car it's right next to the tank, I think in front of it
But it's pretty easy to find once your under it