Clutch/tranny questions for '92 Cavalier

Old 09-20-04, 01:02 PM
bach_1006
Visiting Guest
Clutch/tranny questions for '92 Cavalier

I have a 1992 Cavalier that appears to have clutch hydralics problems: hard to shift into reverse or first, other gears are fine, no clutch slipping.

1. How can I tell if it is the master or slave cylinder causing the trouble?
2. Is there a way to replace the slave without removing the bell housing and lowering the tranny?
3. Where the heck is the tranny dipstick on this car? I see it listed in Hayne's and Chilton's, but can't find it anywhere on my car.

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-21-04, 04:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
1. Manual trans vehicles don't have dipsticks. You check the level by removing the filler plug. Proper level is up to the bottom of the hole (you pump in gear oil until it runs out the hole).

2. Not sure about your Cavalier, but most hydraulic clutch vehicles mount the slave externally. Follow the hydraulic line from the clutch master to the other end and see if it terminates at an externally mounted slave. If so it will be a matter of the one hydraulic line and a couple of bolts.

3. I've replaced a bunch of clutch slave cylinders on Toyotas I've owned but don't think I ever had to replace a clutch master. At any rate, look for fluid leakage around the clutch slave and the master; check inside the vehicle where the actuator rod goes through the firewall to the master as well as in the engine compartment. If you find no leakage and the fluid level stays up in the reservoir, probably not a hydraulic problem.

Old 09-21-04, 05:26 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
some...

...manual transmissions DO have dipsticks and that cavalier MAY be one of them. depends on which transmission it has, but GM did have some equipped that way.

you may be able to measure the amount of travel of the slave cylinder and there may be a spec for it...as it goes with information...some give it, some don't (manufacturers, that is). do look for leaks first...replace anything that leaks...you might even price both parts, master ans slave, and consider replacing both...as you would be saving plenty by doing it yourself.

it does sound like you're not releasing the clutch all the way...esp if you can easily put it into first/reverse when the engine is NOT running.

Old 09-21-04, 07:47 AM
bach_1006
Visiting Guest
Many of the later manual Cavaliers have dipsticks - I guess this one doesn't.

I haven't found anything leaking or that would have been an obvious sign to me. The slave is external, but is seated right in front of the subframe that holds the engine mount. I can pull the slave out about 1" or so, but not enough to get it completely clear of the tranny. It would have to be lowered about 3/4" - 1" or so to allow the slave to be removed. This also makes measuring the slave travel impossible. Perhaps there is something I am not seeing that can make this job easier? Problem is, the car is probably worth a grand or less and it seems like a waste to have someone repair it for $400 (haven't gotten an estimate yet) just because I don't have the time to pull of the tranny.

By the way, if there is no visible leakage and the fluid level stays up, what other problem could be associated with these symptoms? Low tranny fluid?

Old 09-21-04, 08:05 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
the next most likely...

...thing is a bad pressure plate.

Old 09-21-04, 11:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I stand corrected on dipsticks; never owned a manual trans that had one. I've been accused of BEING a dipstick once or twice.............

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: