leaky fuel line

Old 09-20-04, 01:57 PM
Unhappy leaky fuel line

I'm from IA - I've got a 1998 Chevrolet Lumina LTZ with a 3.8 L engine, engine code K. The fuel line going to the rear port on the fuel rail was leaking gas. I got under the hood, relieved the pressure in the fuel system, then removed the connector to inspect it. Looked like the other one, I couldn't see any problems with it just from looking at it. So I plugged it back in, and turned the key on just to get pressure back in the fuel system. Then it really started leaking. I called the local auto shop and asked them to have someone look at it. They quoted me a price of $70 - $80 to replace this fuel line. Don't know if they're just replacing o-rings in the line, or actually replacing the whole line. I'll try to find out for sure and post back. In the meantime, I was just wondering if this sounds reasonable. I definitely don't really want to tackle this on my own, since we're talking about a highly combustible fluid here. But I just want to verify that what they are charging is reasonable.

Thank you,
Kevin

Last edited by kskwsde; 09-29-04 at 09:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-04, 02:27 PM
To me that price sounds low if they are providing parts and labor.I don't think o-rings would be a good plan I would do the lines.I think they come as a set.

Old 09-22-04, 10:46 AM
more info

i double checked and they are going to replace the fuel line - they quoted me a price of $28 for the new fuel line, plus whatever freight comes to for UPS, plus they estimated a half hour for labor. does this sound reasonable?

thanks,
kevin

Old 09-22-04, 01:52 PM
I'd let them do it for that price still sounds cheap but maybe they need the work.

Old 09-23-04, 06:04 AM
thanks, i'll have them go ahead and do it. i also called the service department at a large chevrolet dealership, in a larger town near where i live. they couldn't give me an exact amount, but said i could expect to pay anywhere from $60 - $100 if they did the work. will this really only take half an hour of labor to complete? that's what surprises me the most. do any engine parts need to be removed in order to reach the other end of the fuel line (opposite the end that attaches to the fuel rail) ?

thanks for the advice
kevin

Old 09-28-04, 05:39 PM
change of situation

(see my original post for all the details...) ok, the guy from the shop came up and put on the new fuel line, then started it up, and gas was still coming out at the same place, where the line connects to the fuel rail. they took it down to their shop, and determined that the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail is not working, and pressure is building up in the fuel rail, with nowhere to go, so it's spurting out i guess at the weakest point, where the line plugs into the rail.

they are quoting me a price of around $200 for parts, for a new fuel rail, plus labor.

can i get a fuel rail cheaper anywhere else? can i get this part at a diso**** auto parts store, or do i have to get a GM part? would you recommend getting a used fuel rail from salvage? and can just the fuel pressure regulator piece on the fuel rail be replaced, or does the whole rail have to be replaced?

thanks for the advice,

Old 09-28-04, 05:55 PM
more info

more info i didn't have in my original post:

i noticed this leak on the fuel line after i plugged it back in, because we had it off when we were replacing the upper intake plenum and the intake manifold gaskets. before this, i wasn't having any fuel pressure problems at all, never have with the car, not so much as a sputter. this just seems strange to me. any advice??

thanks,
kevin

Old 09-29-04, 09:04 AM
yet a little more info

I talked to the guy at the shop again this morning, he said that they can first try to just replace the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail, instead of replacing the entire fuel rail. which would save a lot of money, if that takes care of the problem. my question is, how did this happen so quickly, go from running fine to all of a sudden fuel is not flowing properly through the fuel rail? is it that easy for the fuel pressure regulator to go bad or to get clogged with something? the gas tank has about 1/4 tank in it, i hadn't just recently gone out and gotten gas, so i don't think there was anything in the gas that clogged it. i'm at a loss as to why this happened...any advice would be appreciated

thanks,
kevin