Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

noise from starter

09-20-04, 02:44 PM   #1  
noise from starter

My daughter has a 92 Cavalier 2.2 auto, I recently changed the alternater on it. And I noticed that when I disconnected the battery there was a click coming from the starter area (possibly the solenoid I think). Her battery had been going down when it sits for any length of time ( like over the weekend or possibly a little longer). Iwould like to get an opinion on wheather it is a possible short in the starter ,solenoid itself or a possible other location ( such as the ignition switch ). I can disconnect the ground and every time I touch it to the battery I hear a distinct click like the solenoid is trying to engage ( the starter doesn't turn over just a click). Can someone give me an idea as to where would be the best location to start checking. Also what would be the best way to check for the problem. Many thanks

Sponsored Links

09-21-04, 03:29 AM   #2  
I would doubt the noise is coming from the starter as if the solenoid was engaging the car should start cranking over is the key off when you are unhooking and hooking up the battery?
might also check the a/c clutch to see if it is engaging when you connect the battery.

09-21-04, 01:45 PM   #3  
The key is not on when I disconnect the battery. I'll try disconnecting the A/C plug and see what happens. I think the constant high charge level from the battery being low all the time might be what knocked out the old Alternator. But some thing is on that is draining the battery. Thanks for the reply.

09-21-04, 02:00 PM   #4  
I suggest you do a parasitic draw test on the battery to see how much current is flowing with the car just sitting there with the key off.Then start disconnecting fuses until the draw is gone and you will know what circuit to check for the draw.It's fairly common for certain relays to click when a battery is reconnected they don't stay engaged after the click.You do know it could be a bad battery draining itself over time may pay to have it tested also.

09-21-04, 03:07 PM   #5  
How do you do a parasitic draw test.

09-22-04, 03:07 AM   #6  
it is usually done with an ampmeter hooked between the battery and cable the amp meter tells you how much amperage is being pulled from the battery and you will notice a significant drop when you disconnect or remove the fuse to the circuit that is causing the draw.
if you dont have an amp meter available you may want to see a shop where they would have the equipment and wiring diagrams available to locate the draw.

09-22-04, 02:10 PM   #7  
I've got a multimeter. Will that be adequate. And if so, what settings should I use.

Search this Thread