Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

tune-up questions

MO

09-21-04, 04:47 AM   #1  
tune-up questions

What exactly constitutes a tune-up on a modern automobile? By modern, I mean one with electronic fuel injection and electronic or distributor-less ignition. I get so many different answers from different people (and sometimes, different answers from the SAME people) that I just want some clarification. Thanks for the input - Chris

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

09-21-04, 04:59 AM   #2  
The reason you get so many answers is that there are no firm definitions and it largely depends on the age/mileage of the vehicle. For the most part a tune up nowadays consists of new spark plugs plus distributor cap & rotor. Every couple of years new plug wires. Also check/replace such items as the air filter element, fuel filter, and timing belt (if so equipped) at the recommended interval in your owners manual. Some garages will include much more extensive (read "costly") "tune-up" items such as fuel injection cleaning, cooling system flush, tranny flush, etc. The cost of these items rarely saves money in the long run PROVIDED you are doing proper preventive maintenance, i.e. oil changes, tranny services, coolant drain & refill.

MO

09-21-04, 08:42 AM   #3  
Thanks, tow guy. That makes sense and confirms what I thought. With no points to adjust, condensers to replace, etcetera on the newer cars, I was pretty sure a "simple" tune was just that - simple. Thanks again for the help. - Chris

Search this Thread