Truck Died

Old 09-21-04, 09:27 AM
jabari
Visiting Guest
Truck Died

I have a 95 Chevy s-10 2.2 L Automatic. While driving my truck I noticed the the battery charge gauge on the truck was low. I turned off all accessories Air conditioner and Radio the gauge still read low. I got a little bit further down the road and the battery light came on and the truck died. I got a boost and the battery did not hold it. What could be the Problem? I am thinking my Alternator is bad. All battery cables are good. The battery read 6.6V when I hook it up to a digital Volt meter. Hope you guys can help any information would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-04, 11:00 AM
Group Moderator
Classic failing alternator symptoms, but have the charging system checked before you buy a new one.

Old 09-21-04, 11:01 AM
charge the battery...

...test the charging system, which will likely fail, and repair or replace the generator as necessary

Old 09-21-04, 11:19 AM
Group Moderator
Okay, carguy, you got me before on the manual trans dipstick question, but a
'95 S-10 has a "generator"?????

Old 09-21-04, 11:39 AM
well...

...in a manner of speaking. it does generate voltage...but then yes, it is an alternating ac voltage rectified to dc before it can be used by the electrical system or used to charge the battery.

way back in 95/96 when OBD II was hitting the mainstream (even a few 94's were equipped...but not certified) the society of automotive engineers (SAE) had developed a list of terminology that ALL manufacturers would have to use...along with the single diagnostic connector, consistent location of the connector, and mandates that forced the OEM's to monitor catalyst function, misfire and evaporative emissions. many, many names and acronyms were used back then and locating and purchasing parts could be a nightmare. hence the need for common terminology...most people still refer to a TP sensor as a TPS...but the J-1930 term is TP sensor...picky, i know, but...at any rate...generator is the correct J-1930 term for the alternator for all manufacturers

Old 09-22-04, 04:40 AM
Group Moderator
Darn; took me a lot of years to remember to call it an alternator and now I have to unlearn it! Suspect I have a lot of company; next time I have to buy one I'll ask for a "generator" to see what kind of look I get from the guy behind the counter. "You want a WHAT?....Oh, you mean an ALTERNATOR!"

Old 09-22-04, 04:44 AM
most definately!!

...esp iin those parts stores where the help is highly compensated!

Search this Thread