Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

When to recharge battery? - and tipping for car wash?

09-22-04, 08:10 AM   #1  
When to recharge battery? - and tipping for car wash?

hello all,

I've two simple questions. About tipping for having the car washed, and getting the battery re-charged.

Have no idea when the last time the battery was recharged since I'd purchased the car about 4 months ago. For the sake of mainenance, should I just go ahead now and have a mech. recharge it? What are the guidelines?

Regarding a car-wash. hehe, never taken it to a carwash. I'm curious how much folks around here tip for this? Most places in my area charge betw. $4-$7 for a wash (with usually 3-5 guys finishing off the job).

Sponsored Links

09-22-04, 08:24 AM   #2  
Normally there is no need to recharge the battery. You would only need to do this after extended storage.

Group Moderator

FL

09-22-04, 09:37 AM   #3  
As for the other half of your post; dpends on how good a job they do, but I would slip the guy a buck, maybe two.

And if you ever have to have your car TOWED, the standard tip is $25, LOL.

Just kidding.

09-22-04, 09:49 AM   #4  
Thanks for the responses

Yah, I figured it'd be low.

Just thought about about all the hard work I always see them doing for such meager (salary? I'd guess?)

Regarding tow........don't even want to think about that possibility.

09-22-04, 08:32 PM   #5  
Posted By: cyberfyber Have no idea when the last time the battery was recharged since I'd purchased the car about 4 months ago.
I know when it was last recharged. As long as your alternator works properly, it was recharged the last time you had the car running. Thats the reason it is there.

And as far as tipping goes, you should tip them nothing, nada, zilch. There is no reason you should have to give them extra money for a job that they are getting paid to do anyway. The whole premise of tipping has lost its effectiveness when tipping became customary and expected.

09-23-04, 06:09 AM   #6  
Posted By: pt_fixer I know when it was last recharged. As long as your alternator works properly, it was recharged the last time you had the car running. Thats the reason it is there.

And as far as tipping goes, you should tip them nothing, nada, zilch. There is no reason you should have to give them extra money for a job that they are getting paid to do anyway. The whole premise of tipping has lost its effectiveness when tipping became customary and expected.
So then there's basically nothing to concern myself over regarding the battery 'cept until it finally fails?

About tipping: Hmmmm, yah, tell me about it!
Off-topic, I gave this waiter the other day 50 cents for giving me nothing but warm water. He didn't even bother refilling my glass the entire time. ACK!

OH

09-23-04, 09:40 AM   #7  
Posted By: pt_fixer And as far as tipping goes, you should tip them nothing, nada, zilch. There is no reason you should have to give them extra money for a job that they are getting paid to do anyway. The whole premise of tipping has lost its effectiveness when tipping became customary and expected.

Several years back while I was inbetween jobs I worked at one of these types of car washes for about 2 weeks. Since you were allowed to accept tips the pay was only like $4 bucks and hour. You only got paid the hourly wage when they had you out there working. If it wasn't busy you were sitting in the back room hoping they call you out soon. If it was raining or snowing you were out of luck. So out of a 8 hour day you may only get paid for 5 on a nice day even if you worked the entire 8 that's only $32 bucks for a hard days work.

Now I know it's not my fault they don't get paid squat but if they do a good job on washing and drying my car they get a couple bucks. But you do what you want and feel is fair and I'm not bashing you that's just another view.

09-23-04, 09:55 AM   #8  
thanks for the input Mattison. Funny though, what you've described falls in line with my mention of a waiter. As I understand it, the pay for many waitering jobs is much the same.

'am taking my car over for a long needed wash today. Let's see what happens.

Mind you, I've watched these folks from afar and they really seem to put alot of effort into what they do. ('least the car-wash closest to my home).

Search this Thread