Car won't stay running

Old 09-22-04, 01:22 PM
drewha
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Car won't stay running

I have a 1997 Chrslyer Sebring with a 2.0, 5-speed coupe. When I start it won't stay running unless my foot is on the gas pedal. If I let my foot off it dies, but after I drive it for about 5 min. it's ok. I got the car back in Feb. I have had this problem a couple times before. I would just add some fuel injector cleaner, and after a full tank it would run ok. Now it keeps doing it. On a normal start the rpms go to about 2000 then idles back down to about 1000. Now when I start it only goes to about 1000 rpms and dies. THen i drive it and come to a stop it dies, but like i said after 5 min. it's ok. I need help and don't know where to start.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-04, 04:59 AM
maintenance?

what's the maintenance history? how many miles on it? ever had a tune up and if so, what did that include??

sounds like it may just be a dirty throttle body...

Old 09-24-04, 06:42 PM
drewha
Visiting Guest
maintenace

I am not sure about the maintenace I just got the car back in Feb. There were no records...The car has only 78,000 miles on it

Old 09-27-04, 04:13 AM
sounds like...

...it's time to start with a tune up...or at least have it checked to see if it's obvious that some mainmtenance has been done. if it's not obvious, have the work done including a throttle body cleaning

Old 10-04-04, 06:03 AM
drewha
Visiting Guest
what do i do?

How do i go about cleaning the throttle body? What should i use to clean it with? Also what all should include when I do a tune-up

Old 10-13-04, 06:18 PM
jeherrin
Visiting Guest
It could just be a throttle position sensor, these are usually over $10 and easy to replace. I had the exact same problem with a tempo and that was the culprit. Might be worth your time to try the quick fix before tearing everything apart.

Hmm.. I just checked and it seems yours is $51.88 but I still think I'm on the right track here