Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Car won't stay running

Visiting Guest

09-22-04, 01:22 PM   #1  
drewha
Car won't stay running

I have a 1997 Chrslyer Sebring with a 2.0, 5-speed coupe. When I start it won't stay running unless my foot is on the gas pedal. If I let my foot off it dies, but after I drive it for about 5 min. it's ok. I got the car back in Feb. I have had this problem a couple times before. I would just add some fuel injector cleaner, and after a full tank it would run ok. Now it keeps doing it. On a normal start the rpms go to about 2000 then idles back down to about 1000. Now when I start it only goes to about 1000 rpms and dies. THen i drive it and come to a stop it dies, but like i said after 5 min. it's ok. I need help and don't know where to start.

Sponsored Links

VA

09-23-04, 04:59 AM   #2  
maintenance?

what's the maintenance history? how many miles on it? ever had a tune up and if so, what did that include??

sounds like it may just be a dirty throttle body...

Visiting Guest

09-24-04, 06:42 PM   #3  
drewha
maintenace

I am not sure about the maintenace I just got the car back in Feb. There were no records...The car has only 78,000 miles on it

VA

09-27-04, 04:13 AM   #4  
sounds like...

...it's time to start with a tune up...or at least have it checked to see if it's obvious that some mainmtenance has been done. if it's not obvious, have the work done including a throttle body cleaning

Visiting Guest

10-04-04, 06:03 AM   #5  
drewha
what do i do?

How do i go about cleaning the throttle body? What should i use to clean it with? Also what all should include when I do a tune-up

Visiting Guest

10-13-04, 06:18 PM   #6  
jeherrin
It could just be a throttle position sensor, these are usually over $10 and easy to replace. I had the exact same problem with a tempo and that was the culprit. Might be worth your time to try the quick fix before tearing everything apart.

Hmm.. I just checked and it seems yours is $51.88 but I still think I'm on the right track here

Search this Thread