Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Battery And Water Pump Problems

Visiting Guest

09-23-04, 06:53 AM   #1  
jabari
Battery And Water Pump Problems

I have a problem with 98 Ford F-150 4.2L Automatic. I had a bad water pump on the truck. The truck also setup for three days with the positive cable unpluged. I changed out the water pump and added antifreeze in it only to find out that it was still leaking. I followed all the Ford Manufactors recomendations. I put RTV gasket maker sealant on the front and back of the gasket and put the pump on and torque it down to 15ftpounds. Now here is my Question did I torque it down tight enough, because the manual said that you can tourque it anywhere between 15-22Ftpounds and is it a better sealant on the market? The second question is about the battery. When I put the positive cable back on and went to crank the truck i got a clicking sound ( lights, Windshield wipers, Radio all working but dim) then I boosted the truck it turned over a little but still nothing. I hope you guys can help any information will be greatly appercatied.

Sponsored Links

VA

09-23-04, 07:33 AM   #2  
confused...

did the ford service manual state using RTV sealer WITH a gasket? that goes against conventional thinking in that when you use a sealer on a gasket, it(the sealer) normally acts as a lubricant and can cause the gasket to squeeze out when torqueing the bolts...have you looked closely at it, with a mirror if necessary, to see if the gasket may have squeezed out? it's possible that the new/rebuilt water pump is bad...but that's not very common...more likely that it's something you did so double check your work thoroughly. also...how did you torque the bolts? with a torque wrench?? perhaps with that goopy stuff you may have actually over torqued them

as for clicking and such...make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight..if it's not a bad connection, then the battery became discharged somehow or is possibly beginning to fail.

Visiting Guest

09-23-04, 08:47 AM   #3  
jabari
I used a 3/8inch Clicking Torque wrench. The pump is leaking from the top and the bottom. If the botls are overtorqed what is the best way to take them off without stripping them? The Haynes Manual said RTV on the V6. Should I use the Sealant are not?

VA

09-23-04, 08:54 AM   #4  
ok...

...i disagree with the haynes manual. install the gasket dry and torque the bolts (clean and dry) to the spec...using that torque wrench should be ok. you won't strip them by loosening them...if they strip, they were damaged when you installed them the first time. leaking at both the top and bottom tells me that the gasket either slipped out of place before you got the bolts started or that it squeezed out when you tightened the bolts. good luck with the new gasket...

Visiting Guest

09-23-04, 08:59 AM   #5  
jabari
Thanks for your help

Search this Thread