1997 Honda Civic jerks when driving.

Old 09-23-04, 08:08 AM
Portu
Visiting Guest
1997 Honda Civic jerks when driving.

My car was starting to jerk when I was driving yesturday, when I went home lastnight it got a little worse. Later that night the engine light came on "Check Engine".

Car has 185,000 KM

October 2003 I changed sparkplugs, sparkplug wiries and fuel filter.

It jerks when driving not idling and it doesn't jerk constantly but its getting worse. When going up a hill or taking off from a complete stop it doesn't increase.

Any idea's?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-04, 08:20 AM
I would first find out why the check engine light came on. Then you can figure out what's wrong. Did you ever replace the fuel filter? Will the car hesitate when in park, but you accelerate? Will the car hesitate when in drive and you slowly accelerate with the foot down on the brake pedal?

Old 09-23-04, 08:35 AM
Portu
Visiting Guest
Well the check engine light came on 1 day after the jerking started with the car. I did change the fuel filter in October 2003, the car doesn't hesitate in park only when I'm driving. However I never tried to accerlerate with my foot on the brake.

It just accerlerates when driving at all speeds.

Old 09-23-04, 11:40 AM
Portu
Visiting Guest
Thanks Trinitro for your help.

I replaced the distrubutor cap and rotor and it is now running fine. The engine light is still on but I disconnected the battery and plugged it back in. The light is gone, so hopefully that was it.

Old 09-23-04, 02:21 PM
I'm glad you got it running.