89' Toyota Camry Brake Light Problem

Old 09-23-04, 05:34 PM
bigtgmoney
Visiting Guest
89' Toyota Camry Brake Light Problem

Problem: My brake lights won't come on. When i turn on my lights at night the lights in back but when i push the brake peddle they won't work.

Diagnosis: The mechanics diagnosis was that my brake lamp switch is ben and the plunger is stuck. Power is reaching the lamp failure box but no power is leaving this item. They recommend replacement of the switch and the box and retesting the system afterward. 300 dollar job .

I have a friend that is pretty good with cars and he wants to try and fix it before the mechanic. We've tried replacing the switch and that wasn't the problem what does lamp failure box refer to?? Any help?? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-04, 06:32 PM
Most likely the harness for the lights on the trunk are getting pinched in the hindge on the drivers side.

If you have the fold downseat check from the inside with the trunk closed for pinching. Closely examine the wire for the slightest cut.

The lamp failure relay is on the leftside of the trunk under the carpet on the side. Pop it apart to see if the wire inside is burnt, if so solder a new one in.