Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

jump start with charger--HELP

SC

09-25-04, 07:09 PM   #1  
jump start with charger--HELP

Howdy all. I have a problem. My inside van lights are screwed up and sometimes won't go off at night. Obviously, this means when I wake up my van won't start! Normally this is no problem because my husband jumps it. However, he is gone camping with my son and I am stuck with a charger that I dont know how to use.
Okay I know how to use the cable part, but there are several positions to put the little dial and I don't know which one to put it at. Can anyone help me so I can get my girls to Sunday school and us all to church in the morning? Thanks to anyone who answers!!

Sponsored Links

09-25-04, 08:07 PM   #2  
You may or may not be able to jump with your charger
What are the positions marked, as in what numbers?

SC

09-25-04, 09:18 PM   #3  
Thankk goodness someone answered me!! I know I can use it - my husband does it all the time. Unfortunately I never paid attention to HOW!! Therre is a dial on the front that goes from the off position at the bottom - clockwise to : (First one is worn but it says) Something V, 15A Manual, next is 12v, 2A automatic deep cycle, then 12V, 2A automatic all others, then 12V, 15A Manual then 12V, 15A automatic deep cycle, then 12V, 15A automatic all others, then 100AMP Engine Start

09-25-04, 09:52 PM   #4  
Ok

Yes, you want 100AMP Start
Without a manual the best thing I can suggest is hook it up and let it charge for a few minutes on this setting (maybe 2-4 minutes)
Then try and start it
If it doesn't start you'll have to let it charge for a few more minutes than you did the last time
If it chugs and still doesn't start you'll have to let it charge for a little longer than you did the last time
You're getting the picture now and this is not real good for the battery
Try to keep this process to a minimum by not rushing it
(However, don't let it sit on 100A for 15...20 minutes)
Use your judgment by the timing of the wurwurwurs to tell if you are making progress
(This may take a while-get up early)
Don't use an extension cord (if possible)
Also please post back about your electrical problem, it can be fixed w/o too much $ I'm sure
Meanwhile you may want to take out the bulbs
All this jump starting is very bad for the battery
Good Luck!

NC

09-26-04, 08:28 AM   #5  
Yeah, the solution to the light problem might me as simple as the door ajar mechanism needing some wd-40.

Search this Thread