Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

12 Volt Coil Testing

Visiting Guest

09-26-04, 08:38 PM   #1  
cable2112
12 Volt Coil Testing

I have a 1970 Ford F100 pickup with a 360 engine and the old time electrical system that is having erratic firing problems. Is there any way I can test the coil at home.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

09-27-04, 05:00 AM   #2  
I don't remember the exact figures, but you check resistance two ways, between the two small connections (disconnected) and also between each of the small connections and the coil wire. Between the two small connections should be something like 100 ohms or less and between the small terminals and the main coil wire something like 10,000 or less. You should also check that you are getting 12 volts on one of the small connections and that the other one goes to ground properly (via the points in the distributor). Hope I'm remembering all this correctly; haven't had to mess with an old system in a while.

I'm assuming you've already replaced the points and condenser? Plug wires should be checked for condition also.

Search this Thread