Brake Drums, 95 Ford Contour...

Old 09-27-04, 06:01 AM
Shabung
Visiting Guest
Brake Drums, 95 Ford Contour...

I've heard that cleaning the brake drums on a car is relatively easy to do, and since I don't have the money to do this I was hoping to find a way to do it myself.

Is there anyone here who knows how to do this for a 95 Ford Contour or has a website that has instructions on how?

Thanks a bunch.

Shabung

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-04, 06:38 AM
Cleaning?

If you are just cleaning thats easy.For rust just take some fine emery cloth and remove it.oil and grease use brake cleaner or if you are real cheap use rubbing alcohol.
If you mean turnning the drums thats a diffrent story that is not a do it your self deal.

Old 09-27-04, 07:15 AM
Shabung
Visiting Guest
I mean I need...

The most I've done on my car on my own is changing my own oil--and that was just last week.

I need an actual guide as to how to disassemble and clean the brakes...I don't want to go taking apart something so vital without some kind of guide to follow.

Shabung

Old 09-27-04, 11:20 AM
cleaning...

...isn't a maintenance issue. why do you want to clean them? noisey?

Old 09-28-04, 09:20 AM
Shabung
Visiting Guest
They're locked up...

The brake light started going on a few weeks ago whenever I released the breaks and now it won't go out.

I'm told that this means the brake drums need cleaning so I'm looking to do it myself as i do not have the money to pay a garage.

Shabung

Old 09-28-04, 10:25 AM
i assume...

...dangerous, i know...that you mean the red barke warning lamp in the dash is illuminated. if that's the case, it's NOT the drums. it indicates a possible problem in the hydraulic system or the ABS system...or even the parking brake system. the easiest thing that YOU can do at this point is to check the fluid level...some systems have level sensors in them to warn of a low fluid condition. if there is a hydraulic imbalance in the base braking system, the light will come on and the brake system will feel and act funny, altho you'll be able to stop the car. the abs system can also turn on the red brake lamp and that's a job for a pro...as may be some of the other possibilities. don't mess around here...if you are limited in ability and experience, then beyond checking the fluid level and topping it off, you'll need the guidance of a pro