Is Installing your own windshield taboo?

Old 09-27-04, 02:21 PM
Carl in Alaska
Visiting Guest
Is Installing your own windshield taboo?

My 1987 Mazda B2600 needs a new windshield. The quotes I have been getting are outrageous. $400-$500. Is it akin to doing your own brain surgery or something? It can't be that difficult. I can get a good used one at the wrecking yard for $100. If one is good at following directions and pays attention to what he is doing and knows all the little tricks and has the proper tools and takes his time, I don't see why it can't be done. Anyone know a source or a book to help on this? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Carl in Alaska; 09-27-04 at 02:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-04, 03:34 PM
I've never had any success trying it myself although I know guys that have done it. I'm assuming you've already asked the glass shop to quote you gasket and labor only?

Frank

Old 09-27-04, 06:46 PM
Carl,
What's wrong with the windshield? Is it cracked?

If it's cracked you can probably get it fixed for fifty bucks, and your insurance company may have the glass co. come right to your home.

fred

Old 09-28-04, 04:06 AM
Group Moderator
Must be the high cost of living up there. We had to have the windshield replaced in one of our wrecker's (99 Isuzu NPR-HD) a couple of weeks ago and it was under $250.

Old 09-28-04, 10:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Having visited your beautiful state this summer, I can appreciate the high cost of having most everything boated in. If you have a junk yard with a windshield, maybe you could grease the palm of the person pulling it out of the wreck to install it for you.

Old 09-29-04, 11:04 AM
skim35
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Carl in Alaska
My 1987 Mazda B2600 needs a new windshield. The quotes I have been getting are outrageous. $400-$500. Is it akin to doing your own brain surgery or something? It can't be that difficult. I can get a good used one at the wrecking yard for $100. If one is good at following directions and pays attention to what he is doing and knows all the little tricks and has the proper tools and takes his time, I don't see why it can't be done. Anyone know a source or a book to help on this? Thanks in advance.
2 people job, takes about an hour. 1.5 hours for beinnger.

You will need new window trim. Dealer may have it around $100 - $200. I was told that you can find after market for $30. Also need molding primer and glue. Permitex makes everthing you would need.

First step is to remove the old one. Each car has different molding. Usualy you will have to remove all platic pieces under the windshield. Then lift the windshield out.

prepare new winshield. Lay down (protect the bottom with blanket) flat and run a new window trim. on turns, you will have to cut the side of trim to fit the shape of windshield. Then clean the outer edges with molding primer.

Do the same with car, window frame. Clean it, and run molding primer around it. Then take a molding glue (usually takes 2) and run thick layer around the window contact pint. Then install the new window on top. May need to patch/glue down the window trim after.

place everything back in place. Run a masking tape to hold down the top 2 cornor. Leave the tape on for 24 hours. Car will be drivable immidatly, avoid water + pressure washing for next 2 weeks. Will take about 3 days for all smells to disappear.

Old 09-30-04, 05:31 PM
He's making that sound a lot simpler than your going to find it. Getting both of those surfaces prepped will take some time without the right tools and chemicals. I would think buying used and paying for installation might be the best choice.