Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

89 Nissan pick up compression

PA

09-27-04, 07:18 PM   #1  
89 Nissan pick up compression

how much compression should there be V-6 3.0

Sponsored Links

VA

09-28-04, 04:57 AM   #2  
according to...

...nissan specs compression should be 128-179 PSI with no more than 14 PSI difference

also...compression should be checked on a warm engine, good cranking speed
(this means that starter should be in good shape and the battery fully charged) with the throttle open.

don't forget to disable the ignition and fuel systems and normally crank the engine thru the compression stroke 4 times...this is easiest to hear if you remove all the spark plugs (also makes it easier for the starter to crank the engine)

PA

09-28-04, 12:08 PM   #3  
nissan

thanks, I couldnt do it with warm engine, it wont start which is why I am doing this, I get 155-165 lbs per cylinder.
ANY input as to not starting would be great, started for about 5 minutes yesterday but stalled, then wound start again.
all started when I went thru water, died right there, started about 1 1/2 hours later, for about 5 minutes, about 1/2 hour after thats I drove it for about 1 -2 miles died again, didnt start for about 2 weeks til yesterday just before I didnt the compression test. got spark, getting gas, backfires thru carb. filter is off now, timing belt good marks line up on top ??????????

Search this Thread