86 chevy 3/4 ton

Old 09-28-04, 02:35 PM
kazland
Visiting Guest
86 chevy 3/4 ton

I just bought an 86 chevy 3/4 ton w/ a cherry body. I installed a big block 454 and 4 sp auto trans. I needed brakes so installed new calipers, rubber hoses, pads. Went to bleed system and a line to rear brakes split and broke. Replaced steel lines. Go to bleed, front fine, back the pedal is hard as a rock w/ no fluid thru bleeders. Tried to reset proportioning valve and finally replaced proportioning valve. Same stuff, front bleeds fine, back, nothing. Can someone please help me???? I'm about to replace the master cylinder just because I can find any other solution. Help!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-04, 04:09 PM
Have you checked to make sure the bleeder screws are not clogged with rust by removing them.If so start cracking lines loose until you get fluid somewhere.Then attempt to bleed again,sometimes you need to pressure bleed the system or move the pin in the prop valve.If it has a load sensing prop valve the rear wheels need to be on the ground to bleed it.

Old 10-01-04, 12:27 PM
kazland
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advise. I figured it out. The rear portion of the master cylinder was working only marginally. I'd checked both sides of the master before but seperately and a day or two apart. Both sides shot out fluid and 'cause I wasn't mnning the pedal wasn't sure where pedal stopped. Anyway, replaced the master and all is well now. Should be, every coomponent of brake system is now brand new down to every line, except the booster, thanks again.