Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1992 S-10 runs poorly !!!

Visiting Guest

09-28-04, 11:49 PM   #1  
gtmarko
1992 S-10 runs poorly !!!

hello my 1992 S-10 pick up with a 2.8 v6, standard tranny, runs rough at idle and studders when you take it down the road.this all happen at once so i went to the parts store and got plugs, wires, cap ,rotor,fuel filter,then a temp. sensor,ign. module (under the dist. ) and a coil. cleaned: the egr valve,iac valve,and checked the CAT.is OK.can you help me out with my S-10 that`s got me wondering what else to do with it.

Last edited by gtmarko; 09-29-04 at 06:11 AM. Reason: more info.

Sponsored Links

VA

09-29-04, 04:00 AM   #2  
double check...

...your work. if the roughness and studdering started after you tuned it up...then it's most likely something you did. specifically, i'd make sure the wires were on there right and that you didn't crack a spark plug when installing. 2.8's, while a sorry powerplant, are very smooth when right...

Visiting Guest

09-29-04, 08:16 PM   #3  
gtmarko
1992 S-10 runs like crap!!!

i`ve checked for codes and found the numbers 22 & 33 .tps & map sensor,replaced both parts and still it runs rough and studders down the road.could it be fuel,vaccum, electric,or interno?. all i know is that it`s getting really expensive to try and get this to run right

09-30-04, 03:10 AM   #4  
it could be alot of things I would check all vacum lines around the intake to make sure they are not leaking also remove the vacum line from the map sensor start engine and make sure it is getting good vacum at idle to the map sensor they are known for clogging up the map sensor vacum port.
before you throw anymore parts at it you should see a shop for a diagnostic as it could be alot of things and most shops have the equipment to check the vehicle out and find out the cause of the problem, for what you have paid out for parts that didnt fix the problem you would of been way ahead if you did this to begin with.

VA

09-30-04, 04:17 AM   #5  
the map and tp...

...definately need to be diagnosed because this is where your problem most likely lies. just because it has a code in the ecm memory, doesn't necessarily mean that the associated part should be replaced. i have to agree with bejay...you'd likely be ahead had you taken it to be diagnosed. you'd be way ahead if you own a DVOM and can follow the diagnostic trouble tree for those codes...beginning with the lowest number first. the map and tp circuits are electrically related and the diagnostics will zero in on the problem.

Visiting Guest

10-04-04, 05:34 PM   #6  
gtmarko
s 10 runs like crap!!

i was told that the bad fuel pump could make the truck run erractic when at idle or going down the road. what do you think? need help with my poor S-10

10-04-04, 05:51 PM   #7  
We went through all this same stuff on the other forum. I know you checked everything at the MAP but if you cleared that code and it came back then something is setting that map code and you have to get to the bottom of it. If it doesn't reset, then your barking up the wrong tree with that.

Visiting Guest

10-04-04, 06:51 PM   #8  
gtmarko
there are no codes, i think it`s fuel related

10-05-04, 03:46 PM   #9  
Posted By: gtmarko there are no codes, i think it`s fuel related
It could be. You'll have to put a pressure gauge on it to find out. Sometimes I tape it to the windsheild while I road test it so I can see what the pressure does when the problem occurs.

Visiting Guest

10-14-04, 02:03 PM   #10  
gtmarko
s-10 runs poorly

all fix it was the fuel pump sending unit runs great thanks to all

Search this Thread