Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

98 Chevy Malibu - Fuel Pump?

Visiting Guest

09-29-04, 06:35 AM   #1  
jbroussard
98 Chevy Malibu - Fuel Pump?

Arriving at my son's Boy Scout camp the other day my car died. This came with no warning and after an uneventful 60-mile trip on the highway. I was able to start it again, go a few feet, and it died again. I noticed a noise under the car in the rear; it was a loud whistling sound coming from around the fuel tank. It would get higher pitched just before dying. I was told it might possibly be the fuel pump. What's funny is that I went all the way home on the highway and the car didn't even miss a beat (I didn't even hear the noise). Now, a week later, while driving in town, it happened again. Would a clogged fuel filter cause this or does it sound like the fuel pump is going out? Also, does the fuel tank need to be lowered to access the fuel pump? I already know the fuel pump will cost me over $300 and I would like to avoid paying labor. Please help with any tips. The car is a 98 Chevy Malibu 3.1L V-6 with 140,000 miles.

Last edited by jbroussard; 09-29-04 at 01:56 PM.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-04-04, 11:29 AM   #2  
jbroussard
Never mind... The problem has been fixed (fuel pump replaced). This was my first post that never had a response within 24 hours!

10-05-04, 03:24 PM   #3  
Sorry to hear that but I answered your post and I see that mine is no longer here.

Visiting Guest

10-06-04, 06:32 AM   #4  
jbroussard
Thanks for replying. I'm just glad I got the problem fixed.

Search this Thread