Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Car hit while in park-transmission acting up

Visiting Guest

09-29-04, 09:52 AM   #1  
ksnyder
Car hit while in park-transmission acting up

My car was recently hit from behind while it was in park. The force caused my car to move forward and hit another parked car that was in front of me. Ever since the accident, my transmission has been acting up. I took it to the dealer for a diagnostic and they agree that an accident like this could cause trans problems, but it can't be proven. The other insurance company is claiming it can't and probably will stone wall my claim. Any opinions out there?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links

09-29-04, 11:13 AM   #2  
what type of vehicle and what problems are you having with the transmission?
unless it is a park problem such as the vehicle will roll in park or pop out of park then i doubt the accident had anything to do with your current problems.

Visiting Guest

09-29-04, 07:22 PM   #3  
splashchris
There is a component in all automatic transmissions called a parking pawl. It's purpose is to lock the transmission and prevent it from slipping into gear when the shift lever is put into the park position.

It is possible that the impact damaged the parking pawl and associated components. If anything came loose inside the transmission, it is VERY LIKELY you would experience some negative results. All it takes is a few metal slivers to wreak havok on a transmission.

Chris

Search this Thread