Electical problem, help

Old 10-01-04, 08:43 AM
Electical problem, help

93 Buick Century, 3.3 MY dash lights have gone out, there are 4 of them. I also noticed that when I put on my parking light switch the side marker lights are also out. All fuses are good and have been checked. I need to get around to this over the weekend. Does anyone have any idea if the parking lights are connected to the dash lights. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-04, 01:05 PM
if any of your dash lights work and you just have some areas that doesnt it is likely just burnt out bulbs i would suspect the same on the side marker lights.
the light switch usually has a dimming control for the dash lights wish allow you to dim or brighten them if all dash lights are out i would suspect a problem with that portion of the switch.

Old 10-01-04, 07:28 PM
None of the dash lights work, there are 4 of them, none were out before this and none of the side lights were out either, The dimming portion of the switch works on the overhead light. That is why I am sooooo confused. Thanks

Old 10-02-04, 04:11 AM
Originally Posted by easywind
The dimming portion of the switch works on the overhead light.
?

YOu mean the dome light can be dimmed?
Are all the parking lights out? or just the side markers? IF it's just the side markers, the bulbs are probably just burned.
But there is another small amperage fuse that protects the dash illumination, like a 5 amp fuse. Make sure to check that one.If that 5 amp fuse is good, backprobe it with a test light to see if it is gettting power when the parking lights are turned on. That is the only time this fuse is hot. Also, does the radio dim when turning on the parking lamps? How about the heater controls, do the lights behind them work?

Old 10-02-04, 11:07 AM
Yes the dome light can be dimmed, all the parking lights do not work when the switch is in the parking light mode, they work in the headlight mode, the dash lights do not work in either mode, the radio light was never tied into the dimmer, it always stayed bright. All fuses are good, checked by pulling them and using a continuity tester. All fuses are getting juice when the fuses are out, there is power to the fuse block and each individual fuse. My only thought is that the parking light switch is somehow tied into the side markers and the dash lights. No lights behind the heater controls. Thanks for the help, this is making me nuts.

Old 10-02-04, 01:40 PM
Well I got it, I changed out the headlight/parking light switch and the dash lights and the side lights are now on. Thanks for the help.