Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

headlights go out

10-02-04, 10:29 AM   #1  
headlights go out

My daughters 1992 Cavaliers headlights will go out when she is driving with the brights on. If you turn them to dim they will come back on. I had a couple of older vehicles that did the same thing and it was the dimmer switch (Those had the switch that was mounted on the steering column under the dash and connected to a rod that ran up the steering column to the switch by the steering wheel.) This has a multiple control switch ( cruise,headlights, turn signals 4-way flasher and dimmer ) on the column that you have to pull the steering wheel off to get to. None of the wiring looks heavy enough to carry the current for the headlights. So I would like to know if these controls just operate relays and if so could one of the relays be the cause of her problem. All help is appreciated THANKS

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

10-02-04, 12:57 PM   #2  
On a number of cars the low beams go off when the high beams are turned on. If both high beams are burned out the the result of going to the high beam position is darkness. I would check the high beam bulbs for burned out filaments first.

10-02-04, 01:44 PM   #3  
The headlights are okay. They work for a while then blink and go out. I took out the switch and cleaned all the connections and reassembled. I let the car run and turned on the high beams. After awhile they started to flash on and off. So I checked under the dash and the circuit breaker was pretty hot and was cycling on and off. So I pulled it out and cleaned the plugins and put it back in. Let it run with headlights on for quite a while with no problem. So I shall see if it was a bad connection on the circuit breaker or if it will happen again. I'll let people know if that was a fix or not.

Search this Thread