I need tire help

Old 10-03-04, 08:57 PM
WVDakotaDriver
Visiting Guest
I need tire help

My truck came with p215/75r15 tires originally. I was given a set of four p235/75r15 tires. Can I use these tires on the original rims without causing handling or braking problems?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-04, 09:03 PM
WVDakotaDriver
Visiting Guest
Red face more info

I guess I should tell you that my truck is an 02 dodge dakote club cab.

Old 10-04-04, 04:22 AM
you may...

...very well cause handling and/or braking problems...not to mention that the speedo will be innacurate. the vehicle was designed for a certain geometry...don't mess with it

Old 10-04-04, 03:46 PM
That's also not mentioning the engine performance and ABS issues due to the incorrect speed sensor input and excess load readings. I wouldn't do it.

Old 10-06-04, 10:10 PM
joecamel75
Visiting Guest
You can take it to any Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep dealer and have them set the pinion factor for your new tires, there is a lot of options for different tire sizes, if you go with the larger tires then I would highly recogmend taking it there and that will solve all of your problems!

Old 10-07-04, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by joecamel75
You can take it to any Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep dealer and have them set the pinion factor for your new tires, there is a lot of options for different tire sizes, if you go with the larger tires then I would highly recogmend taking it there and that will solve all of your problems!
If your referring to the speedometer gear, then that may solve the speedometer issue but will do nothing for the rest of the problems that were caused including the clearance issues. You'll still change all the handling charasteristics, all the fuel management info that will change and problems with the ABS speed sensors.If your talking about changing the rear end gear ratio, that will cost more that 3 sets of tires. Why bother?????

Old 10-07-04, 06:46 PM
joecamel75
Visiting Guest
Drbiii

Basically when you set the pinion factor you are using the Chrysler specific tool to set the computer for that tire size, the only thing that it will changed is the handling of the truck. With only the very slight increase in the tire size he probably will not really even notice that!

Old 10-08-04, 02:16 AM
OK, I'll agree that reflashing the PCM will take care of most of the issues but that size change he's talking about is more than a "slight" change. He's going to see probably in excess of 2 inches in height gain with that substitution. It also won't help the gear ratio change that will kill performance. I think it's still a bad idea to make a change like that..

Old 10-08-04, 03:57 AM
the tires should be about 30 mm or around 1,1/4 inches taller than the stock size vehicle height would only be changed by half the amount or around 15 mm after reprograming the computer I would doubt that the driver would notice any loss in performance.

Old 10-08-04, 04:22 AM
If the size is listed as an option you would be ok if you pay to have it programmed to the new size.If the tire size is not listed as an option leave it alone.The height of the tire is not the actual concern it's the rolling circumferance that affects abs and ratio at the wheel.Jumping up 2 tire sizes is alot if you look at it that way.I think we have all seen problems on 4x4's by having new tires on 1 axle and old on the other.If it were mine I would leave it alone and sell the free tires and buy the stock size.