Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Can a fuel gauge sender be fixed?

Mike Burdick's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

10-04-04, 10:44 PM   #1  
Mike Burdick
Can a fuel gauge sender be fixed?


Can a fuel gauge sender be fixed? Well...this unit is on a Massey Ferguson 65 tractor and this category was as close as I could get.

The problem is that the resistive wire is broken and I was wondering it anyone knew where I could get some replacement. The gauge is 30 to 240 ohms.

Thanks in advance…Mike

Sponsored Links
kuhurdler's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 588

10-05-04, 06:15 AM   #2  
I've never heard of resistive wire. Are you sure its not just normal wire? Or you talking about wire inside the sending unit itself?

Mike Burdick's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

10-05-04, 06:49 AM   #3  
Mike Burdick
It's the wire inside the sending unit. Basically it's a variable resistor where, in my case, it has values from 30 to 240 ohms.

The reason I need to repair it is because the manufacturer doesn’t make a replacement anymore.

goldstar's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,286

10-05-04, 01:34 PM   #4  
I would not try to repair it. One spark from a bad repair could send it and you to M - F heaven.

Why not a universal replacement. J.C. W*** the Chicago auto parts catalog house has a sender for $ 17. You may need to buy a matching gas gauge but should be able to solve your problem relatively easily.

Desi501's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,207

10-05-04, 03:40 PM   #5  
I agree with Goldstar. There's nothing you can do if that resister gets a break in it. There are many universal type floats that can be adapted to that tank. Try the marine suppliers also. Just find something that matches the tank depth.

Search this Thread