Additional seat in 1990 suburban?

Old 10-05-04, 06:04 AM
kb9lfr
Visiting Guest
Additional seat in 1990 suburban?

Any ideas on safely, easily and cheaply adding a seat in the cargo area of my 1990 chevy suburban? Myfamily now has 6 members and our suburban only has seats for 5 (2 in the front, 3 in the back). Is it possibe to easily, safely and cheaply (money is an issue..that's why I'm driving a 14 YO suburban with >120K miles on it) add a seat for one of my kids to ride in back?

thanks!

-Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-04, 04:06 PM
You could probably get used parts and bolt them in just make sure you include seat belts in the install and dont drill into anything else like the gas tank or wires.

Old 10-06-04, 04:09 AM
Group Moderator
I'm going to be pretty blunt here; how much is your kid's life worth? I personally would never attempt to add a seat to a vehicle unless there were pre-existing factory attachment points. You're likely to find out how safe your installation was when you have an accident. Unfortunately you may have to live with the results of your "crash test".

My $.02 worth.

Old 10-06-04, 12:55 PM
Good Call Tow Guy
I wouldn't install it either
if you need more room buy a bigger car

Old 10-06-04, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
I think tow_guy hit it when he suggested using pre-exixting attachment points.

This vintage of Suburban is quite common around here and many of them have extra seats.
Perhaps an auto wrecker could come up with all the necessary hardware.

Old 10-06-04, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by GregH
I think tow_guy hit it when he suggested using pre-exixting attachment points.

This vintage of Suburban is quite common around here and many of them have extra seats.
Perhaps an auto wrecker could come up with all the necessary hardware.
I did say used parts but the holes for the hardware still need to be drilled,the factory stamps them out.If the guy bolts a seat in the back of his Suburban(with the proper seat belts and hardware)and an accident occurs thus injuring or killing the kid the family won't know because the people up front will be dead first.

Old 10-06-04, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by AutoDoc
Good Call Tow Guy
I wouldn't install it either
if you need more room buy a bigger car
Money was stated as an issue if you read the post completely.So maybe you could donate 50-60k for a newer big one for his family.That would easily,safely and cheaply add a seat for them.

Old 10-06-04, 05:26 PM
u2slow
Visiting Guest
Have you looked under the carpet for the seat latch pockets? You can see the bulges under the truck if they're there. Just need to cut the carpet and put on the chrome trims (if you want).

Seatbelts should not be a problem. I just put shoulder belts on my '84 Suburban, and the threaded bosses were there for both back seats. I only had to drill a hole in the plastic trim panel.

Old 10-06-04, 05:26 PM
the big isue is not the money it is the safety of the individuales that sit in that seat i have seen this retrofit go wrong many times i did read the post and my point is dont do it for the safety of others

Old 10-06-04, 08:55 PM
Although I'm not a Suburban "expert", I have owneed two of them, both with the 3rd seat.

If I had to guess, I'd say ALL Suburbans are made with the cutout for the 3rd seat mounting and seatbelt hardware. It's easier to make all the bodies the same and add/subtract as needed at the factory or aftermarket.

If it were me, I'd pull the carpet back and check for the cutouts and go from there. If the cutouts and seatbelt mountings are there and you have the proper hardware for the install, there should be NO safety issues.

JMHO

Matt