95 lumina check engine light

Old 10-06-04, 07:40 AM
95 lumina check engine light

1995 Chevy lumina 3.1 liter automatic 4t60e

Check engine light is on. Car runs ok. The codes are:

1. History code 46 Passkey II Problem
2. History code 77 EGR Solenoid #3 Malfunction

What should I do next to correct the problems?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-04, 07:51 AM
well first thing i would do is keep note of the codes than clear them out
if you do not have a scaner than disconect batery for a bit say 5 min than reconect than drive the car around for a while so it can relearn it might run funny for a litel till it starts to relearn than check if the lamp comes back on since thay are history codes the problem is not curently there it means it happend at one time if you are driving and the lamp comes on try and see what the conditions are when it came on

Old 10-06-04, 06:06 PM
Thanks Auto Doc.
I have turned the check engine light off and we will see what happens next.

Old 10-07-04, 01:19 PM
If that's an OBDII system, disconnecting the battery may put the light out but it won't clear the codes from memory. The pass key fault could have been a 1 time fluke or maybe the sensor at the ignition swith is starting to go bad. That's pretty common. The other code is probably the EGR starting to fail. That also is quite common.

Old 10-07-04, 02:15 PM
Thanks Desi:

So far the light has not come back on. There was a problem a long time ago that may have been a passkey problem, so hopefully it will not re-occur.

If it does come back on and it has the same code 77 what is meant by EGR solenoid #3? Do you suspect the EGR needs to be replaced or if the diaphram is ok can the EGR valve be successfully cleaned?

Old 10-08-04, 03:23 AM
the egr is electronic and it has 3 solenoids that all have different size orfices that will let a certain amount of exhuast gases back into the intake to be reburned by the engine.
you can clean the egr but that is not likely to do any good most of the time. an egr code like this one can be caused by a resricted passage way in the intake that runs from egr valve into intake just behind the throttleplate and the passage is usually clear on the egr side but is partially plugged with carbon where it exits in the intake.
other possible cause would be one of the solenoids on the egr could be bad and this would require egr replacement but a restricted passage is the cause for the code most of the time.

Old 10-08-04, 04:42 AM
Thanks bejay.

Can I see where the blockage is if I remove the egr and is it possible to clean the passage with out removing the intake manifold?

Old 10-08-04, 05:14 AM
no you cant see it by removing the egr you might be able to see it by holding the throttle wide open or by removing the throttle body.
you can usually clean it out without removing the intake by using some carb cleaner and a pick or wire to break the carbon up.

Old 10-09-04, 03:54 AM
Carnut,

The only problem I have ever seen with a passkey system is the two wires that go to the sensor in the ignition lock cylinder break off, this usually results in a no start condition.
The egr code may be the egr valve is failed, or it could mean the passage in the upper plenum is restricted. Clearing this passage can be done with out removing the plenum, with a coat hanger and some patience. The passage has some twists in in that make kinka a pain to do, but is do-able.

Steve

Old 10-09-04, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by bigguy05641
Carnut,

The only problem I have ever seen with a passkey system is the two wires that go to the sensor in the ignition lock cylinder break off, this usually results in a no start condition.
The egr code may be the egr valve is failed, or it could mean the passage in the upper plenum is restricted. Clearing this passage can be done with out removing the plenum, with a coat hanger and some patience. The passage has some twists in in that make kinka a pain to do, but is do-able.

Steve
Thanks Steve. Do you think a small cable like a speedometer cable will work to get around the twists?

Old 10-10-04, 04:34 AM
Yes a speedo cable is a good idea.........