Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1997 grand caravan

Visiting Guest

10-06-04, 02:12 PM   #1  
Ren12
1997 grand caravan

Hi
How difficult is it to change the serpentine belt on this van at home? Would I need any special tools?

Sponsored Links

10-06-04, 02:35 PM   #2  
it is not to diffacult to do just make sure of your belt routing before you take it off if you are unsure draw a picture of it
tere is a speciac tool to use but you can get away with a 15 mm wrwnch or rachet and short socket

Visiting Guest

10-07-04, 03:52 AM   #3  
Ren12
Thanks auto doc.

Thanks auto doc.
I will give it a go then. You may here back from me in a couple days.

Group Moderator

FL

10-08-04, 04:37 AM   #4  
Do yourself a favor and spring for the extra $ to replace the tensioner and idler pulleys. Nothing worse than replacing the serpentine and two weeks later have a pulley or pulley bearing fail and take your nice new belt along with it.

Visiting Guest

10-08-04, 09:07 AM   #5  
Ren12
Thanks for the tip.
are the tensioner and ldeler pullys difficult to change. And are they expensive

Visiting Guest

10-08-04, 11:37 AM   #6  
joecamel75
The idler pulley itself is pretty simple to get at and take care of but, the tensioner is a real bear! I do A bunch of these tensioner and I always have to be underneath the vehicle! There is a single 15mm nut that holds it on on the back of the cover, I always use an extension, (about 12") and a 15mm swivel socket! But like I said that is from underneath the vehicle (lifted on a hoist) I am pretty sure it is going to be a real bear from up top!

Search this Thread