Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

99 Jeep keyless entry

Visiting Guest

10-08-04, 02:13 PM   #1  
batcat
99 Jeep keyless entry

Does anyone know where the keyless entry module is located on a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic. I have bought two books, searched the vehicle several times, and still can't locate it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-17-04, 12:06 AM   #2  
joecamel75
Hope this helps

I am copying this right out of Chryslers Online service manual. I hope it helps, if it does not let me know and I'll see what I can do. If you have a problem with your RKE system then a description of the problem will be a lot easier to help you out otherwise! Goodluck

REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY RECEIVER
DESCRIPTION
The Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) receiver is a radio frequency unit contained in the Passenger Door Module (PDM) The PDM also contains the program logic circuitry for the RKE system. The PDM is secured with screws to the back of the trim panel inside the passenger side front door. The RKE receiver has a memory function to retain the vehicle access codes of up to four RKE transmitters. The receiver is designed to retain the transmitter codes in memory, even if the battery is disconnected.

For diagnosis of the RKE receiver, the PDM, the DDM, or the Programmable Communications Interface (PCI) data bus a DRB scan tool and the proper Diagnostic Procedures manual are recommended. The RKE receiver is only serviced as a unit with the PDM and, if faulty or damaged, the entire PDM unit must be replaced.

OPERATION
The RKE receiver is energized by one of three messages from the RKE transmitter; Unlock, Lock, or Panic. The PDM circuitry responds to these messages to lock or unlock the power lock motors that it controls. The PDM circuitry also puts Lock, Unlock, and Panic messages on the PCI data bus. These messages will result in the Driver Door Module (DDM) locking or unlocking the driver side front door, and the other electronic modules in the vehicle responding as their programming dictates.

Visiting Guest

10-18-04, 08:06 PM   #3  
batcat
Thanks

Thanks a bunch Joe Camel. The vehicle is due out of the body shop in a day or two and I will check this out. I would have never thought to look in the door. Thanks again.

Search this Thread