f150 4x4 transmission problems

Old 10-08-04, 02:21 PM
Bruce f1504x4
Visiting Guest
f150 4x4 transmission problems

I have a 97 f150 4x4 for which I am starting to experiance some problems with the drive train. The problem just started, when I take off from a dead stop the truck seems to slip and jerk with a slamming sound which is also felt. It is much worse when I am in a turn left or right but will not do it when I am in nuteral and turning.
Also when I go from reverse to drive it slams in to gear in both directions. I have scanned the trucks computer and found no hits runs or errors. Can you give me any advise and please feel free to go as deep technically as you wish, I have an educated technical back round in practical mechanical engineering. I hope that doesn't sound to upity, I just hope to get some indepth answers.

Last edited by Bruce f1504x4; 10-08-04 at 02:23 PM. Reason: forgot a letter
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-04, 05:13 AM
Sounds more like a rear differential or transfer case problem to me.Does the problem get better or worse in 4x4 mode hi/lo range.You could put it in 4x4 remove the rear driveshaft and see if the concern is still there.Don't drive it forever that way just as a test.Do that and then post back your findings.

Search this Thread